Monday, January 18, 2016

Figgy Banana Bread - Jamie Oliver's Superfoods


I am loving the breakfast recipes in Jamie Oliver's Everyday Super Food book.  My third breakfast recipe from that book is the Figgy Banana Bread.  The recipe is posted here, but I recommend buying the book so that you can see the full range of recipes - they are innovative, delicious and healthier than the norm.



What was surprising about this recipe is that there is no added sugar - all the sweetness comes from dried figs, ripe bananas and apple.  There is also a lovely crunch from almonds and poppy seeds. It is simply delicious!  Who knew that a cake could be so sweet without added sugar.

I served this cake plain - I skipped the blood orange butter that Jamie makes in the book.  I think it is lovely on its own, though you can make the blood orange butter, or use nut butter, or perhaps serve it with yoghurt.  Whichever way you like it, I recommend making this figgy banana bread.  

6 comments:

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Ooh this sounds like it has a really nice texture with all of those nubbly bits in it! :D

Mardi Michels said...

This looks great! I am working my way through some of these recipes with my cooking club this term (lots of them I can't do because of nuts) and it's really hard to choose which ones. This bread is on MY radar for sure!

Andrea_TheKitchenLioness said...

Dear Gaye, isn´t this one amazing book?! We love making recipes from it as well and I must say that your "Figgy Banana Bread" looks mighty tempting!
Andrea

Kari said...

Sounds delicious and I'm glad his latest book is a hit (I haven't got it but have some of the previous so am always interested to know about the new ones). I love it when cakes are naturally sweetened and still taste sweet :)

Johanna GGG said...

sounds delicious - in fact I quite like the direction Jamie's cooking is heading and keep on hoping he will do a veg cookbook one of these days

2paw said...

Good to have your recommendation, it looks delicious and I can't have blood orange butter, so yoghurt sounds perfect.