Tuesday, February 24, 2015

TWD - Pink Grapefruit Tart


This week's Tuesday with Dorie recipe is one of the most exquisite desserts that I have ever tried, and features the  unlikely ingredient of grapefruit.



The recipe is for a Pink Grapefruit Tart, inspired by a dessert that Dorie saw at Victor & Hugo in Paris.  You fill a shortcrust tart shell with a thin layer of almond cream and top it with a pink grapefruit flavoured custard, and the top of the finished tart is decorated with pink grapefruit sections:


As you can tell from the description, there are quite a few steps to make this tart, with lots of waiting time in between (for the pastry to rest, for the custard to set, for the constructed tart to set), but the end result is worth it.  As I stated above, this dessert is exquisite - it is one of the  best desserts I have ever had.  And I don't even particularly like grapefruit!

To see what the other Dorie bakers thought of this tart, visit the  LYL section of the TWD website.

18 comments:

Mardi Michels said...

Yup this got "spectacular" from my taste testers too. Lots of steps though....

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Wow exquisite and you don't even like grapefruit! I must give it a go because I'm not the hugest fan of it but you were clearly wowed :D

Kari said...

If this is one of the best desserts you've had, it must be amazing. It certainly sounds fantastic and I love how pretty the dish is too.

oneclevermom said...

Wow! You make me want to make it again!

Approaching Food said...

So pretty! Laborious, but pretty! (Also, tasty. And tasty is good!)

Zosia said...

Your tart is beautiful. It was quite involved but the results were well worth the effort I think.

Ryan said...

Great job on your tart! You laid out your grapefruit very nicely. I bet it tasted great, too!

Johanna GGG said...

that is so pretty that I am really pleased with your last comment about loving it even though you don't like grapefruit - I am not a fan of it either but occasionally intrigued by the flavour and this sounds such a good and gorgeous way to eat it

Kayte said...

Oh, wow, yours turned out so pretty! This was an exceptional dessert, wasn't it? I would love to have this one several times a year.

Nana said...

The tart is very pretty. It takes some planning, but
the end results are worth it.

Patty Price said...

Beautiful job on your grapefruit tart! I'm happy you enjoyed it so much, the grapefruit cream was good!

Margrèt Jóhanna said...

Lots of steps and time planning, but worth the effort. Your tart looks beautiful

steph- whisk/spoon said...

looks beautiful--very much like the one I saw on Hugo & Victor's website!

Cher Rockwell said...

I agree - this was a really good dessert. I can see myself making it (at least parts of it) again.
So pretty with all those segments on top!

Diane Zwang said...

Nice rave review of your tart. I should have added more segments of grapefruit to the top like you did. Glad it was a hit for you.

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

Beautifully done! With Bill not liking grapefruit and me being short on time, I didn't get this one made. But I have been buying and eating grapefruit like mad after seeing all these tarts :)

Golden Life PHX said...

Your final tart turned out so pretty. I love the rosette pattern.

Jora said...

Beautiful, beautiful tart! I'm so glad you enjoyed it.