Friday, February 13, 2015

FFWD - Chicken Couscous


For our Friday the 13th French Friday with Dorie this week, we leave the seaside and make a journey inland to Old MacDonalds Farm for some chicken - Chicken Couscous, to be precise.  It comprised chicken and vegetables cooked in chicken stock with plenty of spices for kick, and served on a bed of couscous cooked in the broth in which the chicken had been cooked.

This dish is everything that I love - spicy, lots of vegetables and some heft so that I am not left feeling hungry.  I could feast on this kind of dish every night.  I think that if I had bothered with the harissa and raisins that Dorie suggested as extras, it would have been even better.

I was also surprised at how quick this was to cook - it was done in around 40 minutes from start to finish.

To see what the other Doristas thought of  this dish, visit the LYL section of the FFWD website.

17 comments:

Kayte said...

This looks delicious and I know Mark would love to be served this one, will need to pull out the book and give this one a go.

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

That really sounds like the perfect dish all round! :D

Mardi Michels said...

This was really flavourful, huh?

Cher Rockwell said...

I love that there is a chicken farm named MacDonald's - it reminds me of the song we used to sing as children :-)
Yes - we added a red pepper/ garlic paste and it made a HUGE difference in the flavors. We enjoyed this one too.

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

I had to tweak this stew so that Bill would eat it! He loved it---but now I'm wishing I could have a taste of yours :)

Katie said...

That plate looks gorgeous! So glad you all loved it! We enjoyed it as well. And, though I'd expect nothing less, I loved seeing comprised used correctly. :) Sorry, it's the middle of grading season here.

Jen Laceda | Milk Guides said...

I want in on this! Bookmarking this for a (near) future dinner! Sounds (and looks) delicious!

Emily said...

Yes, this was quickly done and delish to boot!

Nana said...

This was delicious, wasn't it? A quick meal for a busy
person, which can be pretty much prepare ahead. We loved it.

Arisuchan said...

Looks like a hearty dish I have to look forward to! :)

Betsy said...

Back to the seaside next week... I liked this too. I skipped the harissa and raisins. Like you as good as it was, I wonder how much better it might have been with those garnishes.

Andrea_TheKitchenLioness said...

Gaye, nice presentation of such a hassle-free recipe - how nice that we all seem to agree on this recipe. Delicious, healthy and easy to put together!

Kathy said...

I enjoyed this one too! I loved how quick it was to prepare! Yours looks delicious!

tricia s. said...

So glad you enjoyed it. I think I was simply "not in the mood" for this spice combo and that affected my opinion. I actually said to my hubby that it was like we had to go out for Mexican food but I wasn't in the mood for it (if you get the analogy). Onward to lobster...

Mary Hirsch said...

I agree with everything you said, Gaye, especially the "filling" part. I only made 1/2 the recipe but was able to make three meals out of it. Never tired of the taste. (The 4th time, maybe I would have tired of the taste.) I thought the spices and flavorings were wonderful. Yes, the raisins, apricots and almonds only enhanced a already delicious dish.

Diane Zwang said...

Glad you liked this one. It was nice to have a break from fish.

Teresa said...

I really enjoyed this one, too. The leftovers are even better! Yours looks great. Love the name of the farm where you got the chicken, too.