Saturday, November 1, 2014

Sweet and Salty Potato Chip Cookies


After hosting an afternoon tea recently, I had some left over chicken potato chips.  I had seen a recipe for Sweet and Salty Potato Chip Cookies in Jordan Rondel's The Caker, which I thought would be perfect to use up the remaining chips.

And I was right - these cookies were buttery and delicious, and contain a taste that you can't quite put your finger on unless you are in the know (ie the chips):



To make these cookies, you will need:

225g butter
200g sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup chopped nuts (I used almonds)
1/2 cup finely crushed salted potato chips
250g plain flour

(You are also meant to put potato chip salt on top - I skipped it.)

Preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius, and line two baking sheets with baking paper.. 

Beat the butter and 100g of the sugar until creamy.  Stir in the vanilla, nuts, crushed potato chips and flour, and mix until just combined.
Place the remaining sugar on a large flat plate.  Roll tablespoons of the dough into balls using your hands, and then roll the balls in the sugar on the plate to coat.  Place the dough balls onto the lined baking sheet (they don't spread much so you can put them fairly close together) and use the bottom of a drinking glass to slightly flatten the cookies.

Place the cookies into the oven and bake for approximately 15 minutes or until the edges turn slightly golden. Allow the cookies to rest on the trays  for 10 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack to cool completely.  Eat!

11 comments:

Kari said...

It worries me how much I want to make these. I have been in a crisp (chip) kind of mood this week and putting tem in biscuits now seems like the definition of perfection!

Kayte said...

These look delicious. I have made potato chip cookies before but they weren't as big and fluffy as yours are, they were thin and crispy, so it would be fun to try your version.

Johanna GGG said...

Wow this is an interesting idea for using up chicken chips - I have tried choc chip cookies with chips which were a bit greasy but yours look pleasingly buttery and I love the thought of a buttery crunchy texture

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

I've had chocolate coated potato chips and absolutely loved those so I think I'd be similarly enamoured of these! :D

Cathleen said...

I have always wanted to make potato chip cookies!! This sounds amazing!

Choc Chip Uru @ Go Bake Yourself said...

These potato chip cookies DEFINITELY have me grinning :D
Delicious mix of sweet and salty!

Cheers
Choc Chip Uru

The Caked Crusader said...

I love sweet and salty combined - it is so perfect! These look great

Tammy said...

I love baking with potato chips! These sound and look so good! :D

Wish I had some with me now.

xo,
Tammy<3

Andrea_TheKitchenLioness said...

Gaye, these cookies look truly wonderful - who would have thought that leftover potato chips would be such a great ingredient for cookies - I am intrigued by these!

CakeSpy said...

LOVE it. Sweet and salty are the best together...lovelovelove.

Susan @ My Wholefood Family Essentials said...

Just made and posted these and they were delicious! Not quite as pretty as yours though :)