Saturday, November 22, 2014

Dan Lepard's Caramel Christmas Cake




Christmas is nearly here - I don't know how the year passed by so quickly, but it did.   It's time to start thinking seriously about your Christmas menu, and of course, your Christmas bakes.

I got organised and made my Christmas cake in October so that it can mature before Christmas.  This year's Christmas cake recipe comes from Dan Lepard via The Guardian - a Caramel Christmas Cake.  The recipe is online here.

 
The word "caramel" had me in immediately with this cake.  What's not to like?  The fruit component is currants, raisins, prunes and glace cherries.  This makes it slightly cheaper than fruit cakes with the full range of glace fruits.
 
The cake was a dream to bake, and came out looking and smelling beautiful.  I won't be cutting it until Christmas, so I can't give you a peek inside, but I think the outside is persuasive enough.  If you need more convincing, just read the first paragraph of the recipe - it's got caramel in it!
 
Are you baking a cake this Christmas?

9 comments:

Choc Chip Uru @ Go Bake Yourself said...

Caramel is a perfect addition to christmas cake, absolutely love it :D

Cheers
Choc Chip Uru

Mae Travels said...

I'm relieved that this one doesn't have vegemite with the caramel. (Just kidding.)

Johanna GGG said...

it looks beautiful and perfectly baked - are you going to ice it - though I guess the caramel means you don't need to have any extra sweetness

~~louise~~ said...

Hi again Gaye,
I've actually been here all this time (since my last comment that is) but I had an important phone call I had to take. I was actually oogling this cake the while I was on the phone and have decided that it would be so very difficult to resist trying not to cut it before hand. It's the caramel thing I'm sure!!!

Thank you so much for sharing this cake with us Gaye. I do hope you will be sharing a slice when you do eventually cut it, lol...

Cakelaw said...

Hi Johanna, I had thought about icing it with fondant - I think it depends now whether laziness wins out.

Cheri Savory Spoon said...

Hi Gaye, the addition of caramel is brilliant, would love to see the inside after it matures. Beautiful!

Kayte said...

Love Dan Lepard's recipes. This one is loaded with goodies!! I am thinking how all that would pair with caramel and I guess there is only one way to find out and that would be to make one for myself! Yours looks lovely.

Kari said...

I think the addition of caramel might just make Christmas cake appealing to me! Thanks for sharing it.

2paw said...

Oh, I am so impatient to have to wait to see the inside. Dan has interesting recipes. I am making a Bishop's Cake and maybe a ginger fruit cake. I am not prepared!!