Sunday, October 12, 2014

Golf Cake for Mitch

 
We lost another Pilates instructor on Monday (careless of us, isn't it), this time a physio called Mitch.  Mitch stands out as being the only physio I have met who trained at Bond University (the first full fee paying Uni in Australia) - before then, I didn't even know you could study physiotherapy at Bond.  I caught wind of Mitch's departure by accident, and decided to thank him for his time with us by baking him a cake. 
 
I don't know a lot about Mitch, but I do know that he is crazy about golf.  That made the theme of the cake a no brainer.  Next step was to turn to Google to find a golf themed cake that looked good but wasn't too hard to achieve.  After scrolling through numerous images, I found several people who had made a round cake iced green, with "grass" icing on top, a small hole in the top of the chocolate cake to imitate a hole, and a golf ball (real or chocolate) on top.  For one example, look here.  
 
I bought a grass piping tip and a golf ball chocolate mould, and voila - I was set to make my own version of the golf cake:
 
 
Pretty impressive, yeah?  And even better, simple to make.  For the base cake, I used a half recipe of Jennifer Graham's Dinosaur Rock cupcake recipe.  The exact quantity for a half recipe is posted here (hmm, seems this is my leaving cake of choice).

I iced the cake using The Primrose Bakery's vanilla buttercream icing dyed with green liquid food colouring, piping on the grass with the Wilton no. 533 tip.  I cut a hole out of the iced cake using a small biscuit cutter - maybe I should have done it before piping the icing on, as it smudged the icing a little, but I wanted it to look like someone had just cut the sod.  Finally, I made a golf ball using white candy melts in a golf ball shaped chocolate mould:


The ball was not perfect, but it was OK and looked the part.

Overall, I was happy with the golf cake - it was simple yet effective.  Keep in mind if you are making a cake for a golf-loving person.

10 comments:

Catherine said...

I think this cake is simply adorable and I am sure delicious too!! Blessings, Catherine

Adriana said...

E would flip over this cake. HUGE golf fan!

Choc Chip Uru @ Go Bake Yourself said...

My brother is addicted to golf, this cake is AMAZEBALLS :D
See what I did there? hehe

Cheers
Choc Chip Uru

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

That's absolutely fantastic! And you're being way too critical about yourself-the golf ball and grass and hole are fabulous!

The Caked Crusader said...

Love your piping of the grass...and the golf ball is brilliant!

Kari said...

There are a lot of golf loving Australians out there, so I am sure this will provide inspiration and guidance for many a cake baker! What a nice farewell gesture.

Johanna GGG said...

I think your golf ball looks great - and the cake is brilliant too - must have been hard to work out what to do with the chunk of cake you had to take out to make the hole - ha ha

Cakelaw said...

Hi Johanna, it's tough, but someone has to dispose of the scraps.

Cindy said...

Wow, that looks so impressive!

Kayte said...

What a cute golf cake!! The golfing guys here would love a cake like that...I need to mark this one for sure. You did a really nice job on this.