Monday, October 27, 2014

"Carrot Cake" Muffins


After making Dorie's Scallops with Double Carrots, I was left with an awful lot of vegetable juice that I was never going to drink.  (I could not buy a small poppa size vegetable juice and ended up with a litre of it.)  Not wanting to waste the lot, I put some in a stir fry, but then wondered if I could use it creatively in some baking.

After browsing through some Google results, I found this recipe for Carrot Cake Muffins from Mom Endeavors. They use 3/4 cup of vegetable juice -perfect!  The recipe made 18 regular sized muffins.  If I had known, I might have cut the recipe down a little, but my work colleagues had no troubles polishing these off - someone told me they had three!

Here's a peek inside the finished product:


These are great muffins to get some veges into your kids, but the sugar content is on the higher side (2 cups), so if you are watching that element of your diet, you may want to cut it down a tad.  With three cups of carrot, I think these muffins are a genius way to up the vegetable content of a fussy child's diet.

7 comments:

~~louise~~ said...

Would you believe this is the first time I've seen a recipe for Carrot Cake anything that actually included Carrot Juice??? (I went to the website:) Waaaay cool...

Thanks for sharing, Gaye...Yours came out lovely and I'm sure delicious:)

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Ooh what a creative use for vegetable juice! Hubby would probably have scoffed it down quicker than I could have searched for a recipe but it's a good idea!

Johanna GGG said...

nice idea for the vegetable juice - probably added quite a bit of sweetness to the muffins - it is always a surprise how sweet quite a lot of vegetable juice is (carrots, beetroot I am looking at you)

Kari said...

What a great use for carrot juice. The only problem is I know I'd never bother juicing carrots specifically to make these - but if I find myself with some spare veggie juice, I know exactly where I will be putting it!

CakeSpy said...

LOVE it! And like Louise I love how they actually contain carrot juice. NOM.

Andrea_TheKitchenLioness said...

Gaye, what a wonderful way to use that carrot juice - truth is, we do not buy carrot juice on a regular basis but these Carrot Cake Muffins sound like they would certainly be worth getting some fresh carrot juice and carrots for - they look like such a delicious treat! Well done!

Kayte said...

Using vegetable juice in muffins, now there is a first for me, I've not heard of that before. But it sounds and looks wonderful. And always good to have a place to go for ingredients one has on hand. Nice choice.