Wednesday, June 25, 2014

WWDH - Paella


We are going Spanish on Wednesday with Donna Hay this week, as Kayte chose Paella from p144 of Modern Classics I.

I have never made paella before, so I found it an interesting  exercise.  Donna's recipe calls for clams and mussels.  To the credit of the Malvern fishmonger, they stocked both - but mussels cost $12.50 for a small packet, and the clams cost $31.50!!!!  As I am neither a major seafood aficionado or having a dinner party, I skipped over to Woolies and bought marinara mix instead.  Sure, it isn't as picturesque without those shells popping open, but it is way more wallet friendly.

I made only a third of a portion of Donna's recipe, enough for me for two meals.  I quite enjoyed this dish, after being initially a little dubious.  I'd definitely make it again, especially as it is a much simpler paella recipe than others that I have seen.

To see how Kayte, MargaretChaya and Sarah fared with this dish, visit their websites.

7 comments:

TeaLady said...

Clams and mussels also pricy here if you can find them at all. But it was a tasty dish.

yummychunklet said...

I still haven't tried my hand at making paella. Yours looks delicious!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Wow that is pricey for clams and mussels. I don't think I've seen them that high-especially when you have to discard the shells!

Kari said...

I've never made or had paella but it used to really intrigue me as a child - not sure why, but it sounded exotic I suppose! At those seafood prices, perhaps my wonder was justified ;)

Chaya said...

What is marinara mix? I have never heard of it. It sure looks good though.

Cakelaw said...

Hi Chaya, it's mixed seafood - fish, calamari, mussels and shrimp - used for making spaghetti marinara.

Kayte said...

I did make this, and we loved it, and I will get it posted when I am back from vacation...sorry about the untimely post since it was my pick and all. Yikes. Yours looks wonderful and it was really nice to see how you adapted it to fit your pocketbook and needs there. I had no idea those were so expensive there...both mussels and clams are fairly cheap here and I can order them from my fish guy pretty much regularly, sorry about the expense, but you seemed to have captured it doing your way. Looks great.