Saturday, June 28, 2014

Jelly Roll for the Picnic Game


Louise of Months of Edible Celebrations is hosting The Picnic Game for International Picnic Day.  What is the Picnic Game?   Check out Louise's post here to find out.



I am going on  picnic, and I am bringing:

A - Angel Food Cake
 
 
 

 
 




J - Jelly Roll 
 


It's not just any old jelly roll - this recipe comes from Margaret Fulton, doyenne of the Australian kitchen, from p 215 of The Margaret Fulton Cookbook.  This book is the very first cookbook that I bought, 10 years ago, and is an updated version of the one that my mother received for her 21st birthday, so it is pretty special to me.

If you want make this jelly roll, you will need:

110g self raising flour
pinch salt
3 eggs
115g white sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
1 tablespoon hot water
3-4 tablespoons jelly of your choice

Preheat your oven to 220 degrees Celsius.  Grease a 30 × 25 cm jelly roll tin and line with greased baking paper.

Sift the flour and salt together.

Put the eggs and sugar into a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water, and whisk together for about 10 minutes or until mixture is very thick and creamy, or if using an electric mixer, until the eggs and sugar are just warm.

Remove the bowl from the water and continue whisking or beating the batter with a mixer until cool. Fold the flour gently into the batter, then fold in the hot water.

Pour the batter into the prepared jelly roll tin, and spread evenly over the base of the tin using a metal spatula.

Bake the cake in the preheated oven for 7–10 minutes or until pale golden and springy.

Turn the hot cake immediately onto a tea towel sprinkled with sugar. Carefully pull off the baking paper so as to avoid tearing. Cut off the crisp edges of the cake with a knife, then roll the cake up in the towel, and leave to cool.

Unroll the cake, and spread it with the warmed jelly to the edges of the cake.  Using the tea towel to help, roll the cake into a firm roll.

Place the roll onto a wire rack with join underneath to cool. Sprinkle with more sugar before serving, if desired.


Please come along to the picnic - Louise has posted the entire Picnic Game roundup here.

22 comments:

Catherine said...

What a beautiful dessert. Blessings, Catheirne

~~louise~~ said...

You sure did do it! And did it well I must say, Cakelaw. Toting a Jelly Roll to the picnic is a GREAT idea!

I'm so delighted that you joined the Picnic Game, Cakelaw. We are going to have so much fun hopping from blanket to blanket stuffing our faces! "See" you at the Picnic!

Ivy Sew said...

Hi Cakelaw, What a delish Jelly Roll1. Will mark this recipe and and would love to have a 2nd helping at the picnic. See you there and regards :)

Johanna GGG said...

Oh this is perfect picnic food - I have never made one but must one day as we had them as kids and I was quite fond of them - surely margaret fulton wouldn't call them jelly rolls. Yours looks perfect - no cracking or falling apart - looking forward to sharing it at the picnic

Barbara said...

I've always wanted to make a cake roll! (And I've always thought it would crack or tear when I start to roll it.) I guess the trick is to cut off the firmer edges AND roll it up while it's warm. Going to try it soon,
Super to bring along to a picnic!

Cakelaw said...

LOL - nope, she calls it a Swiss roll.

Kari said...

Your jelly roll looks fantastic! I remember these (we called them Swiss rolls) so fondly from childhood - they were a treat we had fairly regularly and I adored them.

Geri Saucier said...

This looks wonderful. I need to make it soon.

kitchen flavours said...

That is a beautiful cake! And perfectly rolled! This is the perfect snack for picnics! I'm glad I've stopped by your blanket! :)

Gloria Baker said...

Hi dear! How are you?
This is an amazing and lovely roll cake for the Picnic!!
xo

Elisabeth said...

Very nice jelly roll. I make it the same way, light, and delicious!!
See you at the picnic, I'm also joining in the fun!

Rumbling Tummy said...

You are adding a nice touch to the picnic with this jelly roll.

Marjie said...

I've never made a jelly roll filled with jelly, just a chocolate version. This looks much more suitable for a picnic. We'll be sitting together in the dessert section!

I Wilkerson said...

Making a jelly roll has always scared me--I'm afraid I'll break it rolling it up! So I'm very happy that you have brought this to the picnic!

Kathy said...

What a lovely dessert to take to our picnic! I love jelly rolls…they were a specialty of my mom. Hope you’ll share a piece with me at the picnic! See you then!

Mae Travels said...

I love the photos with the dramatic perspective. Also, it sounds delicious! Happy picnics to all.

best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com... letter "c"

~ Nee ~ said...

Hi Cakelaw, you make the jellyroll seem so easy , you make I eat see you at the picnic :)

SissySees said...

Oh, I love a rolled cake... This sounds wonderful!

Kayte said...

Picnic Game sounds very fun! Love your choice, who doesn't love to be presented with a jelly roll?? Very pretty.

My Little Space said...

I'm gonna pack home a few of these from the picnic party. Hope you're don't mind. Happy Picnic!
Blessings, Kristy

2paw said...

Oh, but Swiss Rolls here too. Did you use actual jelly?? Crystals?? Or a proper seedless jam kind of jelly?? It is beautifully rolled!!

Cakelaw said...

Hii Cindy, I used seedless jam.