Friday, May 23, 2014

FFWD - Smoked salmon waffles


French Friday with Dorie this week has us engaging in the latest craze of savoury waffles to make Smoked Salmon Waffles.  These waffles actually have small pieces of smoked salmon inside them instead of on top.

I recently bought a waffle pan, being a cheaper alternative to and more space friendly than an electric waffle iron:

 
One side of the waffles doesn't get good wells in it, but that doesn't matter - you can only pour syrup on one side anyway.

While I was on holidays on Route 66, we stayed at a number of hotels where the breakfast room had the grooviest commercial waffle iron, where you poured in the batter yourself, flipped the waffle maker, then waited it for it to beep to tell you that the waffle was cooked.  I did this every morning when there was a waffle maker. Yum!

Here's my pile of smoked salmon waffles - I got 9 from a half batch of batter: 


On morning one, I ate the waffles with a dab of cream cheese; on morning two, I toasted the waffles to reheat them and ate them with a runny poached egg on top.  They were pretty good, although I found them quite rich.

To see what the other Doristas thought, visit the LYL section of the website.

17 comments:

2paw said...

Well savoury waffles, I had never thought of that. They look yummy and I love the idea of them toasted with a runny egg the next day.

Ei said...

Oooh, I like the idea of the runny egg. I haven't made these yet. When I do, I think I'm going to copy your egg idea. Thanks!

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

What a cool waffle pan! Bill wasn't a fan, but I enjoyed these :)

Anonymous said...

I've never heard of a waffle pan before. Thanks for including a picture, otherwise I would have been even more confused. Looks like a nifty little invention.

And I love your idea to top it with a poached egg! Sounds delicious.

Betsy said...

I've never seen a waffle pan like yours, but I like it. I also like your idea of topping the waffles with cream cheese. Or the runny egg. I like runny eggs on top of pancakes, but didn't think of it for waffles. Have a great weekend.

Anonymous said...

I have seen these pans, and wondered how they would do - yours look great! That's fun.

I thought these were delicious - I like the idea of the cream cheese or runny egg. Yum! These were a hit!

Diane Zwang said...

Sounds like you had a nice vacation. I would eat waffles everyday too. Glad your stove top pan worked out.

Emily said...

Love the size of your waffle pan, great for waffle loving folks! Like the runny eggs and cream cheese are great options for toppings! Will get around to making waffles soon.

mou said...

I too thought they were a bit heavy.. but tasty nevertheless.

Kathy said...

I have never seen a waffle pan…very interesting! I love your idea to put a poached egg on top…yummy!
I think it’s great when motels offer the waffle maker for breakfast…one of my favorite things to eat! Have a great weekend!

Teresa said...

I love those hotel waffle-makers. It's a nice way to start the morning. Your waffle pan looks interesting. A good alternative to another electric appliance.I have yet to make these, but they do look rich (and delicious).

Unknown said...

These look amazing! I missed this recipe this week but I will definitely be making it very soon!

Trevor Sis Boom said...

These waffles were MADE for an egg on top! That was the way I featured them. I could think of no reason not too. I do love those flip 'em waffle irons. They get so crispy and fluffy on the inside that way. Gravity and all that.

Andrea_TheKitchenLioness said...

Gaye, I am jealous of your wonderful looking waffle pan - and your savory waffles do look delightfully delicious!

Cher Rockwell said...

Runny egg = great idea.
And those flip waffle makers are wonderful, aren't they? I love the deep grooves - perfect for catching syrup and blueberry sauce :-)

Kayte said...

I've never made or eaten a savory waffle before...they sound interesting. I like your waffle pan, have never seen one like that before either. I have the kind you used at the hotels as the boys could make their own that way when they were growing up and they loved making their own waffles, that thing has been used maybe a thousand times, lol, it owes me no money at this point. Savory waffles...may have to give those a try.

Jora said...

I've never seen a stove-top waffle maker. How clever! The egg on top was a great idea.