Thursday, August 16, 2012

Zucchini and Apricot Muffins


It's nearly the end of the working week - hooray!  Weekend here we come.  To say that work has been hectic is an understatement, but them's the breaks - the work ebbs and flows, and you have to either ride the tide or sink.

Last week, I made some zucchini and apricot muffins from this recipe in The New York Times:



The recipe comes from the "Recipes for Health" section, so as you might imagine, they are not particularly sweet (due to a dearth of sugar),  and there is definitely no frosting (although a cream cheese frosting or a lemon glaze would work rather well, I think).  Here's a peek inside a muffin:


I was worried that these muffins would not be well received at work, but funnily enough, they disappeared fairly rapidly.  I won't say that I loved them, although there were OK - my tip is that they are better the next day after they have softened a little and the flavours have developed.  One lady told me she liked these for the very fact that they weren't overly sweet - which made me very happy.

Enjoy the rest of your week!

10 comments:

Kathy said...

These look fantastic…so moist and delicious!! Love the little specks of zucchini in the muffins!

Kayte said...

This all sounds interesting and looks pretty...am skeptical about taste, but I would be game and try one as I do love all the flavors in them. You are so adventurous.

kyleen said...

These apricot zucchini muffins look awesome! It's such an interesting combination of flavours, but I can totally see it working.

Blond Duck said...

Ben likes muffins that aren't oversweet--this is like the perfect combination!

Anonymous said...

Ooh, zucchini and apricot. They sound great together!

Johanna GGG said...

never would think of these flavours together but can see how they would work perfectly! Always nice to have some healthy food about

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

What an unusual muffin! And the cross section is interesting too :)

Kari said...

These look fantastic! I love zucchini and apple muffins but have never tried apricot. I am sure I'd love them though :)

Cindy said...

I think a cream cheese glaze would finish these off quite nicely. I will try it!

Mary Hirsch said...

I find these cupcakes very interesting, in texture more so than taste. In the States we usually cannot find enough different ways to use up all the zucchini. I don't mind the dearth of sugar but will add a cream cheese frosting.