Wednesday, August 22, 2012

RSPCA Cupcake Day August 2012


On Monday, it was the RSPCA Cupcake Day 2012.  I was keen to participate, so I obtained permission from my work to sell cupcakes for the RSPCA in the breakout room at morning tea.

I baked 78 cupcakes all up, using free range eggs:

Suzanne at work also baked some chocolate cupcakes, which was great as we had more to sell.

My cupcakes were Crabapple Bakery Cupcake Cookbook's Very Vanilla and Dinosaur Rock Chocolate cupcake recipes, and Martha Stewart's Red Velvet Cupcake recipe:



I made my vanilla cupcakes into sheep from Martha Stewart Cupcakes, which you can find via video tutorial here



I made the chocolate cupcakes into koalas using the technique that I found online here:


And I made the red velvet cakes into dogs using ideas out of my own head - I cut ears out of cola sour straps, a tongue out of strawberry sour straps, the eyes were mini M&Ms and the nose was a regular sized M&M.  I piped on the mouth using black ready made writing icing:



The sheep and koalas were iced with the Crabapple Bakery's vanilla buttercream, as described in the link for the vanilla cupcake recipe, and tinted half of it grey for the koalas with a little black gel colouring.  On the red velvet cakes, I used the cream cheese frosting recipe from The Country Show Cookbook that I used for my recent carrot cake here

Suzanne and I raised over $300 for the RSPCA - thanks to my wonderful work colleagues for their support in this fundraising venture.

13 comments:

Kayte said...

What a fun and profitable (for the charity) thing to do! The little animal creations are so cute...who could choose which one, I would have had to bring one of each home! My favorite is the doggie...that is so cute and you dreamed him up yourself, even more fun. He's just adorable.

Lauren Hairston said...

The Koala cupcakes have to be my favorite. If we're in a town with a zoo that has koalas, I always have to go visit. They're so cute!

Anonymous said...

OMG, your cupcakes look so cute! They're definitely fundraiser worthy!

Cindy said...

What great fundraising! And incredibly cute too. :-)

Johanna GGG said...

These are brilliant. Congratulations on raising the money for the RSPCA - I am not good at doing these sort of things as I just don't get organised. I especially love the dogs - one of my nieces has been keen on some canine decoration so will tuck this idea away

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

They're so cute!! You did an amazing job and 78 cupcakes is wonderful! :o

Cindy said...

You are quite the decorator, I am impressed.
Looks like you made some money for your charity--good job!

Kari said...

I completely missed knowing about this until after the event, much to my dismay. Your cupcakes are fantastic! So cute and I can imagine them being snapped up very quickly. I will have to be more organised next year.

Choc Chip Uru @ Go Bake Yourself said...

These cupcakes are much too adorable, I don't know which one is best :D
And for such a fantastic cause too!

Cheers
Choc Chip Uru

Kathy said...

Oh I love all your very cute cupcakes…a lovely and delicious thing to do for charity! I especially love the koalas….sooo adorable!

Unknown said...

These are brilliant! Congratulations on your fundraising efforts;-) That's a lot of cupcakes to bake!

Juliana said...

OMG, your cupcakes are so so cute...love the koalas and the dogs...absolutely gorgeous.
Thanks for sharing your cupcakes and hope you are having a great week :)

Ledingham Party Paper Supplies said...

These are so cute! I love the little Koalas.