Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Pear, Almond and Marscapone Tart


Each Sunday, Neil Perry has recipes featured in Sunday Life magazine in The Age.  If I fancy making the recipe, I'll tear it out in the hope that I'll remember it in the future.

A couple of weeks back, Neil featured a recipe for Pear, Almond and Marscapone Tart, which is published online here.  It looked right up my alley, and besides, I had some marscapone to use up from another project.

Instead of using store bought pastry, I made Maggie Beer's  sour cream pastry for the tart shell. 

I used a Corella pear instead of a Beurré Bosc. I hadn't realised that you had to poach the pear for the tart, as Neil has written it in the ingredients instead of the method (grrrr).  I used Orangette's directions for poaching pears, a la Nigel Slater. 

Here is the golden, baked frangipane filled tart:

 

Once the tart has cooled, it is topped with a mixture of whipped cream, beaten egg whites and marscapone, then decorated with toasted slivered almonds:


Again, Neil put part of the method in the ingredients, so my egg whites were not beaten and my cream was not whipped.  As a kind of after-the-fact attempt at fixing my topping, I beat the whole lot together with a hand held electric mixer.  This did give it some volume, and in the end, I thought it tasted pretty good, even if it was not as fluffy as Neil's version.

I thought this tart was elegant and delicious.  I had no occasion to make it other than that I wanted to, but isn't that half the fun?

10 comments:

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

Oh, I can't wait till pear season arrives! What a fabulous tart!

Kayte said...

That is half the fun, the other half is when you post it and we get to see it and enjoy hearing about it...and sometimes make it! This looks lovely. Pear season is at hand here...might be just the thing.

Anonymous said...

What a fantastic dessert! The frosting and the almonds look delicious.

Kari said...

It's definitely half the fun :) Especially when you end up with a tart like this!

Johanna GGG said...

I love the decadence of making a dessert because you want to! I can see why - it looks great. I've grown a bit tired of the good weekend recipes because they rarely have the sort of thing I like to make - I admire this tart but I am just not that into pastry (though I love the sourdough one that my mum has made before)

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

That even sounds delicious let alone how fabulous it looks! :D

Unknown said...

It looks absolutely delicious even if it wasn't like Neil's one!!

Kathy said...

This looks wonderfully delicious! I would love to have a piece right now with my tea!

Patty Price said...

Your tart looks like a beauty to me, glad you enjoyed it:-)

The Caked Crusader said...

I can't resist anything with pears - this looks delish