Saturday, May 26, 2012

Coconut Raspberry Slice and 5 Year Blogiversary


Well, it's hard to believe, but this little blog turns 5 today.  That's right - I have now been cooking and photographing food then writing about it for five years.  I am  lucky I wasn't in this game as an alternative career or for fame, because I have got neither, but this blog has made me very happy as a journal of my experiences in the kitchen, and to meet such a variety of other people and see what the get up to in the kitchen.  It is fun to go back to see what I have made, what I have learned, and how my photography has improved (believe it or not, it has).

I have not made anything special for today; however, I will post about the coconut raspberry slice that I made for my friend Camilla's baby shower in Sydney last weekend.  Coconut raspberry slice, with its light cakey base, raspberry jam filling and crunchy coconut topping, is a perennial Aussie favourite, and is easy to make.  You can find the recipe here.

My only negative comment is that the slice is very thin made in a lamington/swiss roll tin. I recommend an ordinary slice/bar tray, like my mum uses, to get thicker slices. 

It is cold and windy and threatening rain here in Melbourne today - it is only very marginally better than yesterday, and only because it hasn't rained yet.  Hope the weather is better where you are.  I am off to California for a holiday soon, and I am elated to be getting a second summer - if only temporarily.

Have a great weekend!

12 comments:

Kari said...

Happy 5 year anniversary! That is very impressive - congratulations. This slice looks lovely too, even if it was a bit thin on eating (hard to tell in the pictures).

Johanna GGG said...

happy blogiversary - it is great that you are still going because I love seeing all the things you make and I agree that your photography has improved (I think you got a new camera around the same time as me so I remember you getting it).

Enjoy california - we got really heavy rain this afternoon but you might have written this before than or not got it. I have made this slice in a swiss roll tin and found it rather thinner than I am used to as well

Finla said...

Wowo 5 years of blogging that is a real achievment. Congragulations and wishing you and your delicious blog many many more happy years of blogging, cooking,baking.

Cher Rockwell said...

Congratulations on five years!

Anonymous said...

Kudos on five years! Quite an accomplishment!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Happy Blogsoversary Gaye and may there be many, many more! 5 years is an amazing achievement! :D

Unknown said...

Congratulations on 5 years;-)

The Caked Crusader said...

Happy anniversary - here's to the next 5 years (at least!)

Hazel - Chicken in a Cherry Sauce said...

Happy 5 year blogiversary! Very impressive. I look forward to your next year and hope that I make it to 5 years too :)

Cakelaw said...

Thanks Hazel - I hope you do.

Lauren Hairston said...

Happy blogiversary! You've just prompted me to see how long I've been blogging and mine turned 5 earlier this month, as well. Seems like forever!

Coconut raspberry slice sounds yummy yummy yummy. Have a great time in California!

Elaine said...

Happy Blogaversary! I am so glad that I have had a chance get to know you through at least some of your food writing experience. It's been a great pleasure and I am looking forward to reading many more years of your food adventures.