Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Wednesdays with Donna Hay - Soft Poached Eggs with Sweet Potato Hash Browns


This week's Wednesday with Donna Hay recipe was chosen by Margaret of Tea and Scones.  She chose Soft Poached Eggs with Sweet Potato Hash Browns.

This dish contains two of my favourite savouries - asparagus  and sweet potato - and one cooking nemesis - the poached egg. 

I didn't even try to poach my egg the whirlpool water way - I used a plastic egg poacher.  Sure, the shape isn't as lovely, but then again, if you had seen my past attempts at whirlpool water poached eggs, you'd think the egg poacher version was marvellous.  I burst the yolk when loading the egg onto the hash brown, hence the reason why the yolk is all over the plate.

I don't have and have never purchased horseradish, and didn't want to use fatty boombah sour cream in the sauce, so my sauce was low fat yoghurt, lemon juice, salt and pepper.  If I had curry or mustard powder, that may have been good in the sauce in place of horseradish, but I had neither on hand, so I went without.  Honestly, I was happy with my sauce as is.

My hash brown is not a work of art, because I only used a thin coating of oil in the pan rather than deep frying.  It stuck a little, and was a little browner than a deep fried version may have been, but tasted fine.

This was a nice change for breakfast, but a little heavier than my usual breakfast preference of cereal and fruit.  It's definitely a weekend breakfast, because it takes a bit of work.

To see what Margaret and Chaya thought of this dish, go visit their blogs on Wednesday their time. (Kayte is currently on hiatus.)

Next week:  Roasted Capsicum and Chicken Bruschetta

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Yuuuuuuuuum!! That looks delicious!

Elaine said...

I have had sweet potato fries, but not hash browns. This looks delicious, especially with the runny yolk. I would really love this for supper because that is when I prefer to eat large breakfasts.

Chaya said...

I know this is supposed to be a breakfast recipe but I made it for dinner and we loved it.

Looking at your photo, I think, you were truer to the hash browns than I was. I agree with you. I think this would be too heavy for breakfast.

I enjoyed it, No asparagus on ours. The asparagus pulls it together, at least in your photo.

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

Oh, I must try sweet potato hash browns! Thanks for the delicious inspiration~

wendy (pinkstripes) said...

I have sweet potatoes begging to be used. This sounds like a good alternative to fries or baked.

yummychunklet said...

This looks very good! What a great sweet and savory combo.

Jill said...

Looks like a delicious breakfast. Cooking the hashbrown in a little oil sounds like the way to go.

TeaLady said...

This was good wasn't it. Like Chaya we had it for dinner and it was perfect. Definitely a repeat. The soft yolk is perfect.

I tried the whirlpool method and it just didn't work for me either. Still good tho.

I like the yolk all over the pancake.

kyleen said...

This looks like an insanely delicious breakfast!

Daisy@Nevertoosweet said...

Perfect for breakfast and sweet potato hash browns :) never had them before but I can imagine them being so sweet and yum yum!