Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Wednesdays with Donna Hay - Roasted capsicum and chicken bruschetta


I'm back!  I went home to my family for Easter, and it was a blissful 4 days.  The weather was simply gorgeous ("home" being more northern than my chosen place of residence, where winter has already started to set in), and it was simply wonderful to just be.  I have Easter eggs flowing out of my cupboards, both from home and work - I can feel my backside expanding just thinking about them, though I am very grateful to be so blessed.  I hope you all had a great Easter.

My absence explains why this Wednesdays with Donna Hay dish of roasted capsicum and chicken bruschetta, chosen by Kayte, became my dinner last night.  I reluctantly dragged myself out into the cold after work to do my grocery shop for the week, and bought  the ingredients for this week's WWDH pick, then cooked it the same night.

This dish was actually quite delicious.  I have no idea where my grill pan is, so I just toasted my oil-sprayed sourdough in the oven.  Otherwise, I pretty much made the dish as stated, but divided it in half as a meal for one.  The dressing of red wine vinegar, olive oil, sugar and salt and pepper was simply perfect, and gave some kick to the rather mild chicken and tomato.  I even roasted my own capsicum over a gas flame for this recipe - definitely not one of my favourite jobs, but now I know I can do it, I'd do it again.  I simply pan-fried my chicken breast in a pan sprayed lightly with spray oil, and sliced it thinly rather than shredding it.  I used Thai basil, as it is sold in smaller packs than regular basil, but both are hideously expensive.

Kayte is on hiatus, but go check out what Margaret and Chaya thought of this recipe tomorrow (as they are the best part of a day behind me).

Next week:  Lemon and dill smoked salmon pasta

12 comments:

Unknown said...

That looks really good!!!

Blond Duck said...

I can't imagine Christmas being warm and EAster being cold! :)

Gloria Baker said...

this chicken look delciious and love the photo!!

Kayte said...

Looks great! I am HOPING to make this for part of our dinner tomorrow night (Wednesday night here), and I have four others done from the past weeks and ready to post so Hiatus might be over. Love Donna's recipes. Thank you for being such a true sport...I hope I can get it all back on track!

Elaine said...

I'm so glad you had a nice Easter with your family! This looks like a really good recipe and perfect for a chilly evening.

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

I'd love this for dinner tonight. I'm a bit stuck for ideas at the moment so this would be perfect! :D

Blond Duck said...

Happy Wednesday!

Johanna GGG said...

happy easter cakelaw - it is still that period of trying to deal with easter eggs - my mum heard a guy on the radio say he chucked out all his easter eggs at the end of easter - she seemed to deal with quite a few of hers by bringing them here!!! Maybe good for baking!

Daisy@Nevertoosweet said...

Yum :) looks like a great mid week dinner ~ I just got back from an extended holiday, great to get ideas to get me back into the mood of cooking dinner and not eating out all the time lol

yummychunklet said...

Looks delicious!

Cindy said...

I do love Thai basil, it has such a wonderful flavor. this looks yummy.

Jill said...

I'd be happy to have that for dinner! Glad to hear that you had a nice Easter.