Thursday, April 19, 2012

Lemon and Saffron Tea Cake - Gluten Free and Dairy Free


On Monday, it was my friend Craig's birthday.  Craig is gluten and dairy intolerant, so I wanted a recipe that was free of both, but was not something typical of gluten free cakes (eg almond meal/chocolate).

Indulge by Rowie Dillon contains a recipe for a gluten free Lemon and Saffron Tea Cake (which can be made dairy free by using margarine, or in  my case, vegetable oil).   You can find the recipe online here (see p5).   Rowie describes this cake as "exotic", which seemed to fit the bill for a birthday.   I made a small cake just for me so I could try it - here is a peek inside:

The cake has a glorious yellow colour from the saffron.  However, I am not so sure of the flavour - it may have been the saffron, the soy milk or the quinoa flour, or a combination of all three, but the taste of this cake was on the unusual side - definitely exotic!  It was much nicer than the muffins I made out of the same book (which Sandra and I were not that keen on, but which Tim liked), but the flavour was not what you would usually expect from a cake.  It's hard to describe, and you will have to try the cake for yourself to decide if you like it.

My cake was nowhere near as tall as the one in the photo - I can only assume that they used a smaller tin than was specified in the recipe, or had some mighty kickin' baking powder.  (I don't think the spoonful that I made into a cupcake for myself would make the cake that much smaller.) 

As this was a birthday cake, I iced it with lemon icing and wrote Happy Birthday on it with piping gel:


I am having dinner with Craig tomorrow night, so I will have to ask his verdict on the cake then!

10 comments:

Gloria Baker said...

I love all yours cakes always look delicious!

Kari said...

I tried quinoa muffins once and they did have a slightly unusual taste - but I quite liked it. This cake looks great!

Rachel said...

oh my goodness gluten free and dairy free? that sounds like quite the baking challenge--you are braver than I! Looks like this came out just great though!

MumsnBubs said...

Love your blog.
Great recipes...I shall try some out. I love these types of cakes, I tend to freeze individual slices and send them off with hubby to work as a treat :)

Elaine said...

It looks pretty. I bet the saffron would give it an unusual taste. I'm sure Craig enjoyed it.

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

I'm really intrigued by the taste of this cake now!

Jill said...

Nice! I'm sure he appreciated receiving an exotic birthday cake.

yummychunklet said...

Great cake, and bonus on being gluten-free and dairy-free!

Johanna GGG said...

That texture looks good but there are so many things to get right with gf baking - I did some this weekend and found the flavour a bit odd too - I had thought it might be the buckwheat flour but I also added quinoa flour so maybe this contributed too.

Hazel - Chicken in a Cherry Sauce said...

Sounds like a very exotic combo indeed! Love the idea of saffron in here.