Friday, April 13, 2012

FFwD - Sardine Rillettes


We've made it to Friday - I breathe a sigh of relief, as my weeks are rather frantic and have been for months.  I am looking forward to the weekend when I can relax.

This week's French Fridays with Dorie recipe is Sardine Rillettes (pronounced ree-etts).  It is effectively a fishy cream cheese spread made from canned sardines, cream cheese (light in my case), green onion, chives, lemon juice, cayenne and salt and pepper.  I didn't want this hanging around in my fridge to be wasted, so even though it is meant to be served as a snack on crackers, I ate the whole lot as a meal on a slice of toasted sour dough.

The verdict - it was OK,  although I would probably have enjoyed it way more in a smaller quantity as a snack.  It was all rather too much richness for me in one hit, but I can't complain about the flavour.

To see what everyone else thought of  this dish, visit the LYL section of the FFwD website whenever it happens to come up (probably when I am asleep tonight).

Have a great weekend.

13 comments:

Cher Rockwell said...

You are a saint to eat it all in one shot. This was a tough one for me :-)

Kayte said...

I won't lie...I don't like sardines at all, but I am truly happy that you had a meal from it and enjoyed it somewhat. Sorry to hear that you have been so busy at work, etc. and am looking forward to your next vacationing post.

Unknown said...

It looks more than ok to me, but yo're right that it does sound like it can be better for a ittle snack!!

Cindy said...

Could you substitute smoked salmon for the sardines? I'm not a fan of sardines but my father would occasionally eat a tine of them with lunch with crackers. As a child I was amazed that he ate a whole fish--bones and all!
Thanks for the trip down memory lane, my father passed away 7 years ago and I think of him every day.

Christy said...

Okay, I'm still trying to work myself up to this tomorrow. I did the tuna rillette today as a warm up and loved it!!! That was delicious, I'm not a sardine fan so I'm struggling. I'm impressed you did this!

Jill said...

You're always game to try something new. I haven't had sardines for many years.

Have a fabulous weekend!

yummychunklet said...

I'm so happy that we've made it to Friday as well, because this week has just gone on and on. Great post!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

I was interested to see what you thought of it as I find sardines a bit too fishy for me and I was wondering if the cream cheese tempered that :)

Elaine said...

Good for you for eating it as a meal instead of a snack. That's exactly what my husband said is that he would rather have it as a sandwich and my daughter ate sardine rillette tacos.

Erin said...

Wow, that is a lot of rillettes in one shot! We were mixed, I liked them, hubby did not. I am going to eat the leftovers today for lunch.

Hotly Spiced said...

I've seen a similar recipe but I think it uses anchovies. Sardines are very strong so I can imagine you would normally serve this as an appetiser and everyone just be given a small portion? Great that you liked the flavour xx

Unknown said...

It looks good but I'm not that big on rich fishy spreads!

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

I made just a half batch, but seemed to have no trouble eating it all :) Glad you enjoyed the flavor~