Friday, April 27, 2012

Daring Bakers - Armenian Nutmeg Cake


If you are looking for a gorgeous cake that is different from the norm, then this month's Daring Bakers challenge serves up a gorgeous, caramelly nutmeg coffee cake:

The Daring Bakers’ April 2012 challenge, hosted by Jason at Daily Candor, were two Armenian standards: nazook and nutmeg cake. Nazook is a layered yeasted dough pastry with a sweet filling, and nutmeg cake is a fragrant, nutty coffee-style cake.

(This is not my grammar - these are the blog checking lines and I cannot change them.)

I didn't have time to make both, so it was a no brainer to choose the Armenian nutmeg cake.  And what a lovely cake it is - it has a dryer bottom crumb layer topped with a rich batter, with nuts on top.  I didn't have walnuts, so I used flaked almonds instead.   Here is the end result:



The cake has warm, caramel-like undertones from the brown sugar, with a spicy edge from the nutmeg.

A slice of the cake served warm with icecream was just perfect:



To see how the other Daring Bakers fared, visit the slideshow at The Daring Kitchen.

12 comments:

Susan @ My Wholefood Family Essentials said...

Sounds intriguing and absolutely delicious! And gorgeous photos too!

Cher Rockwell said...

I loved, loved, loved this cake. It was so different... (I made the nazook also - which were also amazing).
Your cake looks great.

Unknown said...

I'm really starting to get annoyed at the fact I didn't try this, it sounds amazing!!!!

Johanna GGG said...

That looks absolutely amazing - I want a piece

Anonymous said...

I've never heard of this cake, but it sounds delicious!

Jill said...

Sounds delicious, and it looks pretty with the almonds on top.

Elaine said...

I love the color of the cake and the almonds on the top looks great.

Anonymous said...

I love nutmeg to begin with, so this cake sounds amazing. Love the description of brown sugar undertones.

Gloria Baker said...

Love this armenian cake!!

Mary Hirsch said...

I don't participate in Daring Bakers but I have seen both Armenian recipes on other sites. I thought I might like to try the cake. Glad you liked it.

Marjorie (Sugar for the Brain) said...

It is beautiful! It was yummy too :D

Kayte said...

This is so pretty...I just love the look of it, inside and out. All the flavors sound really nice and I like a cake that isn't always frosted...so this is perfect. Marking this one to try. Thanks.