Friday, March 16, 2012

FFwD - Cheese souffle


Thank God it's Friday!  Today I have to give an external seminar presentation, which fills me with minor dread.  These things always seem like a good idea at the time - then when it's crunch time, I wonder what on earth I was thinking.  Paper done - check.  Slides done - check.  But the scariest part is turning up and having to present the paper in front of a room full of strangers of differing backgrounds, who may in fact know more than you about the topic you are presenting on.  It's a little like the nightmare where you dream you have left the house without your pants on.  There is also audience evaluation where you have to face the reality of what others thought of your presentation.  So, it's just a little stressful for me today.

Compared with that, this week's cheese souffle for French Fridays with Dorie was a breeze.  I have only made souffle once before, but I didn't really put much thought into the process, and it turned out fine.  The roux for the bechamel, normally a nemesis of mine, went off without a hitch.  It turned out so well that I did not even feel the need to strain the bechamel, as it seemed pretty smooth.  Even when my last egg yolk broke and sneakily leaked a bit into my whites, I managed to fish it out and still get big fluffy whites.  And as you can see from my photos, I got a souffle with a very fine quiff on top.

Now for some process photos.   Here is the base bechamel:


This is the bechamel after being spiced, egged and cheesed (I used Swiss Gruyere):


This is the uncooked souffle in its dish ready for baking (yes, I was a little optimistic in hoping that it fitted in properly, and I did get some overflow):


And here is a peek at the yellow, billowy, soft centre underneath the golden brown crust:


It is always a little disappointing that the lovely high top is but a fleeting vision - but that's souffle for you.   However, I captured the moment on film to dream about forever.

To see what all the other Doristas thought of this cheese souffle, visit the LYL section of the FFwD website.  Have a great weekend!

15 comments:

Unknown said...

That looks amazing!! I need to try it now!

Cher Rockwell said...

Presentations always leave me a little grumpy :-)
Glad your souffle turned out perfectly poofy. I think that not thinking about it was the key to success.

Wendy (pinkstripes) said...

I hope your presentation went well! Your souffle looks great!

Cindy said...

What a delicious looking dish.
Good luck on your presentation. If it is anything like your cooking it will be successful.

Unknown said...

I haven't made a cheese souffle in a while. I too am dissappointed that the hight is for such a fleeting moment. Great when it is captured on film though! Yours looks spectacular!

Rose said...

Good luck with your presentation today, sounds like you have done your homework so I'm sure it will go well.

And your souffle looks wonderful! As fleeting as the moment is, it is still exciting.

Hotly Spiced said...

That's an impressive looking cheese souffle! And I've had those feelings of dread too when you have to do a presentation and you know people in the room have more knowledge of the topic than you do. It's not a confidence booster! Good on you for going through with it xx

yummychunklet said...

Ooh, good for you for taking a photo of the fluffy insides. I couldn't wait that long!

Johanna GGG said...

I admire the way you make a souffle seem effortless -hope the presentation went as well as your souffle - it looks superb

Kathy said...

Good luck with the presentation! I’m sure you’ll do great!
Your souffle looks gorgeous! Although a fleeting moment…you did it perfectly!

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

Your souffle is a masterpiece...perfectly done! And I hope your presentation went just as well :)

Jill said...

It looks fantastic! I hope your presentation went well!

Elaine said...

You did a great job of capturing the souffle. It looks terrific. I am sure your presentation went well!

Daisy@Nevertoosweet said...

Damn I've been missing your posts lately :) things were so hectic before ~ Oooo this souffle looks great I love anything that's cheesy hehe I've never made souffle at home before but I should try :D
Thanks for sharing!

Kayte said...

Wow, what a glorious souffle! I love making souffles as they just seem so regal and fun at the same time. However did you get yours to rise like that without a collar on the dish? So jealous that you were able to get that without a collar. Your combination of flavors is my favorite in a souffle.