Saturday, February 11, 2012

White Chocolate Mud Cakes for Caroline's wedding


I have reached the age where not too many people of my acquaintance are getting married anymore - they are either already married, or are divorced and staying far away from formal wedlock.  It was therefore a rare occasion worth celebrating when I learned that my colleague, Caroline, was getting married this weekend.

Weddings are another perfect occasion for cake, so as a wedding present of sorts, I made Caroline a dozen cupcakes decorated all in white, wedding stylee.  I used the recipe for Lady Tarryn’s Wedding Cakes from The Crabapple Bakery Cupcake Cookbook by Jennifer Graham - really just white chocolate mud cakes.  Instead of white chocolate ganache, I frosted the cakes with vanilla flavoured Medallion canned frosting (given to me by my friend E) - it has a nice flavour and sets up quite firm, so it was perfect for these cakes.  I also used my new-found skill for making simple fondant roses for the top of the cakes, dressed up with some Edable silver disco glitter.

The biggest trick with the cake batter is that blending the flour with the chocolate mixture is a challenge.  I found that even after a good blending, I still had lumps of flour that I just squashed out with a spoon as I found them (or for really big ones, fished out and tossed).  In the end, it didn't affect the flavour or texture of the cakes - they turned out light and fluffy and sweet.  Also be aware that the batter is very runny, not thick like normal cake batter - don't panic, it works out.  I halved the recipe (which makes 24 cakes), but even after halving it, I still got 22 cupcakes, which I slightly overfilled in the tins even then because they all rose over the top of the muffin tin holes - this gave me ragged edges on the top of my cakes because the overflowing bits stuck to the tins, and hence were torn off when I unmoulded the cakes.


I loved the flavour (albeit very sweet) and texture of these cakes - I just need to work on the right level of filling to ensure that the batter doesn't overflow out of the muffin holes in the tin.

To make these cupcakes (24 in a full recipe, or maybe more on my experience), you will need:

4 cups plain flour

1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
500g chopped butter
2 cups milk
4 cups sugar
300g chopped white chocolate (I used white chocolate melts instead)
4 eggs, lightly beaten
2 teaspoons vanilla extract



Preheat your oven to 155 degrees Celsius. Line 2 x 12 hole muffin tins with cupcake papers.

Sift flour and baking powder together into a large bowl. Make a well in the centre. Set aside.


Put butter, milk, sugar and white chocolate into a metal bowl and place over a saucepan of simmering water. Stir continuously using a wooden spoon until chocolate has melted and sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.

Use a rubber spatula to fold the eggs and vanilla extract into the cooled chocolate mixture. Pour this mixture into the well in the flour and fold together until well combined.

Divide the mixture evenly between the muffin tins. Bake for 30 minutes or until a fine skewer inserted comes out clean. Place moulds on a wire rack to cool for 10 minutes before turning out. Allow to cool for a further 30 minutes before frosting.


Decorate as desired:






Ta da!  Congratulations to Caroline and her partner - I hope that they have a grand wedding day. 

16 comments:

Finla said...

I think it is few years ago i went for a wedding ehre too. Beautiful cupcake.

Amanda said...

I'm not generally a fan of white choc, but it does make a splendid cake. Green & Black's make a very good white chocolate that I love to use in baking.

yummychunklet said...

These look scrumptious and sweet! You're such a nice friend!

Catherine said...

What a wonderful surprise! Your cupcake looks beautiful and I'm sure they tasted phenomenal! Blessings dear one, Catherine xo

Daisy@Nevertoosweet said...

Congrats to your friend :)

I'm always scrutinised by my friends that white chocolate is not chocolate hahaha but I love it and a white chocolate mud cake sounds so DELICIOUS ~

Johanna GGG said...

very pretty - I find that white chocolate mud cake holds its shape well and has a bit more flavour than vanilla (well maybe it is because I would prefer chocolate to vanilla anyday)

Jennifer said...

What a wonderful thing to do for a friend and coworker! I'll bet these cakes were delicious! Beautiful job!

Kayte said...

So pretty...what special things you are always doing for people...they must just love to see you coming!

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

What a delicious way to celebrate a wedding! I love the addition of white chocolate....mmmmmmm.

Leslie said...

What a lovely gift! I so admire your decorating skills, you've made these cupcakes look absolutely dreamy!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

What a lovely cupcake and the single blossom with leaves is so romantic! :D

Jill said...

They look lovely and sound tasty! Such a nice gift.

The Blonde Duck said...

What is a mud cake?

Lauren Hairston said...

Ooooh yummy! I'm 25, so everyone I know is just married or getting married. I'm starting to freak out because now people are starting to try to have babies. I don't feel ready for that yet!

Cindy said...

What a sweet gift! These look delicious.

Cakelaw said...

Hi Duckie, mud cake is a really dense cake containing oodles of chocolate.