Tuesday, October 25, 2011

TWD - Fig Cake for Fall - errr, Spring



In the Northern Hemisphere, it is now autumn (fall), so our host this week, Ursula of Cookie Rookie, chose the appropriately named "A Fig Cake for Fall" from Dorie's book, Baking From My Home to Yours.  Unfortunately, because our seasons don't coincide, the availability of fruit in Oz is not the same as in the Northern Hemisphere.  However, I was keen on using figs in this cake - after all, you don't get the cool alliteration if you don't use figs!

Purely by chance, I found some tinned Greek figs in the IGA at St Kilda.  I have never set foot inside that supermarket before, but it was near to where I was getting my hair cut, and as I love nothing better than a stroll through food lined aisles, I went in, and the visit was fruitful (pardon the pun).  Sadly, there were only 5 figs in the can - which cost $6.99! - so I have only a few figs on my cake 

Because my figs came in syrup, I didn't poach them in port  as Dorie suggested for fresh figs.  However, I otherwise followed the recipe, which resulted in a tender, moist, golden cake that you could happily marry with any fruit:



As they say in TWD, This one is a keeper!  Ursula will have the recipe, or buy the book.  And to see a veritable harvest of fig cakes, visit the TWD website's LYL section for this cake.

17 comments:

Flourchild said...

I don't blame you for using your figs sparingly! That's a lot of coin for 5 figs! I love how they are nestled in the cake! Beautiful! Im glad you enjoyed this recipe! I made mine with apples.

Gloria Baker said...

Oopss! Cake law look amazing! We are in spring too but I love to cook some Fall cakes! and Im in sliced bakers and they are in autumn! too, look lovely! gloria

Elaine said...

Your cake looks beautiful! I'm glad you were able to find the figs there, especially since it is spring. The cake sounds delicious - I'm going to go check out the recipe.

Tia said...

they look wonderful... i didn't do figs - but kinda wish i did.

Cindy said...

Beautiful cake! I have never tasted figs. Looks like I need to find some.

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Wow those are expensive figs, I thought they might be cheaper if they were tinned! Still the cake looks fantastic!

Amanda said...

That cake looks seriously deliciously! I haven't baked with figs much - must give it a try.

Peggy said...

That is a lot for a can of figs but I probably paid just about that much for my fresh ones and four of them were not usable. So frustrating! Your cake is beautiful and I am sure it tastes just as good.

Anonymous said...

Great looking cake! Love the dollop of whipped cream.

Nicole said...

So glad you could find figs! I found two types at the store and used them and this turned out to be an excellent cake.

The Blonde Duck said...

All I can think of is, "So bring us some figgy pudding..."

Unknown said...

Your cake looks great. I always admire our southern hemisphere bakers for being good sports with the seasonal fruits. I'm in the northeastern US and could not find a fresh fig anywhere - too late in the season already!

Chaya said...

Yours is a real beauty.

Amanda said...

Gorgeous. I wonder how it would go with dried figs poached in the port?

alvarosa said...

I'm so sorry I didn't think about bakers around the world... and that me, who has also very often the problem that european seasons are different to american seasons. The more I'd like to thank you for still trying it. I think the cake is quite alright also with a small piece of fig on every slice. Thanks for baking with me! (and have a nice spring!)

Becky @ Project Domestication said...

Glad you found the figs. I would have done the same amount.

I enjoyed this cake. I poached mine in Pomegranate juice instead of port...worked out great!

Jaime said...

lovely cake! you did good with what you had :)