Tuesday, October 4, 2011

TWD - Apple nut muffin cake



I love fruit in baked goods - baking fruit brings out the rich sugars in the fruit and caramelises them to sweet perfection, and the contrast in textures that fruit affords to a cake adds interest.

This week for Tuesdays with Dorie, Katrina of Baking and Boys chose a Dorie recipe featuring that most versatile of fruit - the apple.  Her choice was the Apple Nut Muffin Cake, which Dorie invented when she was having guests over and didn't have time to prep her muffin tin, so made the muffins into a cake instead.

Apple Nut Muffin Cake is packed with apple chunks, walnuts and spices:



It is delicious - moist, soft and not overly sweet.  It is perfect for your lunchbox or as an afternoon snack with a cup of joe.

Thanks to Katrina for histing us this week - she will have the recipe. You cal check out the other TWD members interpretation of this cake at the LYL section of the TWD website.

17 comments:

Gloria Baker said...

What nice and yummy cake, I love cakes Cake Law, gloria

Chaya said...

It does look yummy. I made a few different apple cakes, this week and I am not sure which photos belong to which recipe. This should be interesting. I am off to write it up.

Kayte said...

Really great cake wasn't it? I actually made it, have it banked to post around midnight, so organized this week, I can hardly stand it...lol. Had to do right by Katrina as she didn't pick chocolate!! She loves chocolate!!! Yours looks wonderful...I agree about fruit in cakes, I just love that...guys here not so much, but Mark did like this one a lot!

Flourchild said...

It was great! I loved it too!

Elaine said...

Your cake looks wonderful and I bet is delicious with a cup of tea. This is a perfect recipe to try as it is apple season here.

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

That looks delicious! And yes I'm with you on fruit in baking-love it! :D

Anonymous said...

Yum! There are tons of apple varieties at my farmers market, so I'm excited to try this bread and Dorie's apple cake again!

Finla said...

I love bakes with aples it makes me feel homey and comforty when i bake and eat them. This one looks so good.

Peggy said...

Your cake looks delicious as always. You do a great job. We loved this and it was so easy to make.

Anonymous said...

Looks delicious! You're right - it's a great afternoon snack.

Tia said...

perrfect for anytime of the day. i liked mine with tea.

The Blonde Duck said...

It looks marvelous! Not super calorific!

Valerie Gamine said...

Gorgeous! I can't wait to try this one...I just lost track of time this week. :o

TeaLady said...

This was really good wasn't it. Look at all the beautiful apple chunks.

Beth said...

This looks terrific. I love apple cakes and this one sounds like a winner!

Jennifer said...

Your cake looks scrumptious!!!!

alvarosa said...

Looks almost like an apple-brioche!