Monday, October 31, 2011

Date Surprise Biscuits


Do you plan your baking schedule, or do you prefer to make on spec what you can from around the house?  Because I am in a number of baking groups, I do have to do some planning, but otherwise, I am more of an "on spec" kind of girl, and like to use what I have around the house.

The genesis of the biscuits in this post was an "on spec" baking session.  I looked at what I had around the house, then picked up my reliable Margaret Fulton Cookbook and had a flick through.  The biscuits that I settled on are called Date Surprises.  They are easy, quick, and don't use many ingredients.  Best of all, if you like dates (like me!), they are super scrumptious, as they comprise whole dates  wrapped in biscuit dough.


To make your own date surprises, you will need:

150g butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
2 cups plain flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
375g pitted dates

Preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius.  Beat the butter in a stand mixer until light and creamy, then gradually add the brown sugar and beat until well combined.  Add the egg and vanilla and beat well. 

In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, salt and bicarbonate of soda.  Add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture, and mix in using a wooden spoon or the mixer turned on low speed until just combined.

Break off small pieces of dough and mould around each date in a cocoon shape, and place on baking trays lined with baking paper or a silicone mat.  Place into the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden.  Remove the cooked biscuits from the oven and allow to cool on their trays.

Enjoy with a cup of tea or coffee.

6 comments:

adele said...

I wouldn't have thought to put dates in biscuits, but now that you mention it, that sounds rather tasty!

I'd like to say I plan big projects - sometimes I do - but I've also had afternoons where I went up to my elbows in something elaborate just on a whim. Better put me in the group of impulse bakers. :)

The Blonde Duck said...

Happy Halloween!

Anonymous said...

I keep seeing cookies and muffins with "surprises" inside but it's usually candy. Great call with the dates!

Johanna GGG said...

these look great - and I think you do such a great job with your baking challenges and then manage to bake for fun as well - actually I am glad you also get to bake for fun

Elaine said...

I think I do a little bit of both - sometimes I see a recipe, like on someone's blog for instance, and buy the ingredients and sometimes I look for recipes that have some of the ingredients I have on hand. I have made chocolate cookies with peanut butter as a surprise in the middle, but nothing like this. It looks so good!

Unknown said...

Many years ago the famous New Zealandv"Edmonds" cookbook had a recipe verY similar to this. They were delicious and I'Ve never found the recipe since..... until now. Thank you
Curly top. .