Thursday, October 27, 2011

Daring Bakers - Povitica


This month's Daring Bakers challenge was one of the most delicious breads ever, which tasted delightful, although it cost me a sore back to make.

The Daring Baker’s October 2011 challenge was Povitica, hosted by Jenni of The Gingered Whisk. Povitica is a traditional Eastern European Dessert Bread that is as lovely to look at as it is to eat!




This bread is made by stretching out the base bread dough and spreading it with filling (in my case, walnut filling as per the challenge recipe), then rolling the dough into a sausage and winding it into a horseshoe shape in a loaf pan.

When baked, the bread is one mass of swirls of filling and bread: 



The filling is quite dense and moist, and tastes fabulous - unlike anything else I have ever tasted.  However, because of the back-breaking process to stretch out the dough, I won't be making it again soon.

To check out what the other Daring Bakers did with this challenge, visit the Daring Kitchen website and watch the slideshow.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

This bread sounds and looks delicious. I've never heard of it before.

Flourchild said...

SOunds like a good back workout..you need to get a massage:) This looks incredible! I love dessert breads and this one looks so different and yummy! I really want to make one too:)

In The Night Sky said...

Wow, that is one impressive looking bread!

Cindy said...

This is a beautiful loaf! I would love a taste. Since I've had many back surgeries I probably won't make it. But is does look good!

Mmm... is for Mommy said...

Your Povitica is beautiful :) I can't wait to post mine in a couple more hours.

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

I loved this recipe and I really enjoyed this month's Daring Bakers challenge! :D Yours looks great!

Jenni said...

Wonderful job! Your povitica looks really good, the swirls turned out nicely! It is a lot of work, though, you are right!

Gloria Baker said...

aah Cake law I think this is a beautiful job! look delicious and amazing! xxgloria

Sawsan@chef in disguise said...

Great job on this month challenge
I agree it is one of the most delicious breads I have ever made

Dressed and Eaten said...

What a great job. It looks extremely delicious. Loving the combination of layers of dough and fillings.

Anonymous said...

Loved that you didn't skimp on the filling. Well done!!
Best, sandie

Mary said...

This was delicious, wasn't it? I stuck to the challenge recipe too, and even though walnuts aren't my favourite, I absolutely loved it and can't stop picking at it. My dough rolled out really easily, I wonder why yours didn't.

Jo said...

Lovely povitica! There was so much rolling, but you are right about the filling, it is excellent!

4pure by Andrea said...

Sorry for your back. Didn't have that experience. But à good thing that it tasted great. If that wasn't the case the backache was for nothing.

Anonymous said...

I've never heard of that bread before, but it looks lovely and sounds delicious!

The Betz Family said...

Looks great and very dense! Nice job on the challenge!

Unknown said...

Your povitica looks great!

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

We've been busy beavers with our Daring Bakers' and FFwD...and here you have posted twice since then!! Your povitica is divine...I have been so impressed with all the beautiful loaves...wishing I had just one more in my kitchen :)

Elaine said...

I love the swirls and layers. It's beautiful!