Saturday, October 1, 2011

Dan Lepard's Sour Cream Chocolate Cake



Melbourne has unfortunately returned to winter weather - icy winds, low temperatures, rain, grey skies.  We received 43mm of rain on Wednesday alone, our wettest September day in decades.  Despite all of this, when I walked into work yesterday morning, it felt great to be in Melbourne.  The streets were quieter than usual (perhaps people took the day off to travel to the football finals tomorrow?), I had a coffee made by the handsome cheery bloke at a cafe in Degraves Street, for the first time in ages I admired the grand old buildings of the CBD, I enjoyed watching everyone walking in their winter coats, scarves and hats (like a street in Europe), and just as I arrived at work, the sun peeked out like a beacon of hope.  My love for Melbourne was reaffirmed, and at that moment, I didn't want to be anywhere else.

The only connection between yesterday and the cake at the top of this post is that I brought it into work yesterday for my colleague Lee.  It is Dan Lepard's Sour Cream Chocolate Cake from The Guardian.  I worked with Lee in a former life, and now at my new job.  Last time, I started first and left first.  This time, the order is reversed - Lee started first and is leaving first.  Lee will be sorely missed, not least of all for his encyclopedic knowledge of 1980s music for which he won the trivia award on our 2007 boat cruise (I haven't forgotten Lee!).



This cake was pretty tasty and moist - given that it contained 375g of chocolate and 200g of sour cream, I am not surprised!  Diet food it ain't.


 
The decorations are silver cachous and Lindt balls - not elegant, but they are what I had around the house.  One bite of this cake, and I am sure that no-one cared what it looked like.

Have a great weekend!

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great cake! Your friend Lee must have loved it.

Elaine said...

A perfect cake for a chocolate lover! I think it looks great and I am sure Lee did as well.

Finla said...

Wowo that is a beautiful cake. Lucky friend.

Flourchild said...

What a great friend you are and co worker! I loved your descritption of your walk to work ..It's so nice to love where your at! This cake looks so moist and all the chocolate makes my head swoon:)

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Nigella has a sour cream and chocolate cake that I also really love. The icing is my downfall-I could eat buckets of it! :P

Johanna GGG said...

Yes Melbourne is a great place to be even when it buckets down rain - at least you know it wont last - the cake looks delicious - how can you got wrong with that much chocolate

Anonymous said...

The cake looks fabulous, and I'd be plucking one of those Lindt balls off the top and putting it on my plate!

Lauren Hairston said...

There is just something extra-special about a chocolate cake with sour cream. I always think they turn out the best texture- and taste-wise. When I make one I always wonder why I even bother with any chocolate cake that doesn't have sour cream! :-)

The Caked Crusader said...

It looks lovely! Any cake with that much chocolate and sour cream cannot do any wrong in my eyes!

Patty Price said...

Sounds like my kind of cake;-)

raquel erecipe said...

this is cute...it looks yummy...and I like the moist =)

Unknown said...

Yum! That looks so delicious! ...and like you said, with all that sour cream and chocolate it should be moist!

Brenda said...

What a fab cake! I don't care how much chocolate or sour cream it has, it's totally worth it :)

Gloria Baker said...

This cake look fab and delicious, gloria

Amanda said...

Ooh, lovely, lovely cake! I'm awaiting the delivery of Dans new sweet baking book and can't wait!