Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Chicken Cauliflower Curry with Seven Vegetable Cous Cous


It's probably time to mix things up a bit and allow your teeth to recover from all of my sweets.  Today, I am going to share two delicious dishes that I made on the weekend - Chicken Cauliflower Curry and Seven Vegetable Cous Cous.

The recipe for the Chicken Cauliflower Curry can be found here.  My inspiration for making it is - what can I cook using ingredients that I already have in the house?  A quick Google search led me to this delicious curry, which has zing without being too hot, and is relatively healthy too - no cream, coconut milk or buckets of oil.  I made the recipe as is and was worried there wouldn't be enough sauce - never fear, once you have simmered the curry for the prescribed time, there was enough sauce to cover it (though it wasn't "saucy" as such).


I teamed this delicious curry with a colourful Seven Vegetable Cous Cous:







You can find the recipe here.  I skipped the harissa (which some people said overpowered the dish), and replaced the lima beans with tinned cannelini beans.  I also skipped the squash (as I didn't have any), so technically, I made a six vegetable cous cous.  Seven is apparently a magic number in Morocco, hence the origins of the seven vegetables, but you can add and subtract whatever you want from this dish.  You could even add some cooked chicken for an all-in-one meal. 

While the cous cous would make a fabulous main in its own right, I served it as a side dish to the curry: 




Doesn't it make you happy looking at all of those colours on the plate together?

Both dishes contain  raisins, which some people may baulk at, but I love a fruity main course.  You could leave the raisins out without ill effect, or substitute cranberries.

Enjoy!

9 comments:

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

This looks fantastic! I love the idea of seven vegetables (which I should eat because I've been having so many sweets lately!).

Igneel21 said...

this looks pretty good! i want some

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

Both dishes look wonderful! Hubby is not a fan of curry, but he'd enjoy the couscous...and I'd load up my plate with both!

Anonymous said...

Looks tasty! I was just thinking that I needed to blog more savory dishes.

Lauren Hairston said...

I love raisins in savory dishes! I put sultanas in an herb tart a while back and several people commented that they would probably leave them out! Nooooo! That pop of sweetness makes the dish.

I am such a fan of couscous (and eating more vegetables). I do love all the colors together!

Vicki Bensinger said...

The vegetable couscous looks fantastic, I love all those flavors. In fact the whole meal looks wonderful. I look forward to trying it.

Thanks for sharing

Elaine said...

This looks like a great meal! I am not a fun of curry, but I will use it sparingly. Your dish looks delicious though.

Anonymous said...

They both look fabulous! I'm cooking a nice dinner right now, but I think I'd rather be eating your curry and couscous.

Kayte said...

This ALL looks wonderful and so pretty...and so nutritious! Marking this all to try soon. Thanks!