Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Candied blood orange tart


My friend Sandra and I recently attended the Veg Out Farmers Market at St Kilda.  It was a fun event, with my favourite purchases being a chocolate and toffee coated pear on a stick (bliss!), and a basket of blood oranges.

Blood oranges are not available all year round and are harder to get than navel oranges, so I wanted to use my blood oranges for something special that showcased the natural beauty of their ruby red interior.    Haalo of Cook Almost Anything at Least Once had featured a recipe from a Gourmet Traveller Annual Cookbook for candied blood orange tart - and that is the recipe I chose.  You can find it here.



This tart is truly devine - it comprises a buttery, melt-in-the-mouth pasta frolla crust, a semolina cream custard filling, and gorgeously glowing, bitter yet sweet, candied blood orange slices on top.

I could have eaten the entire tart by myself - it was that good.  This is a rare statement for me, but it was seriously one of the best desserts I have ever tasted, whether bought or homemade.  To limit my intake, I took all but two slices of the tart to work to share.



I served the tart with a drizzle of syrup from making the candied oranges.  It is quite a beautiful deep pinky orange colour, and I have saved the rest for icecream topping.

If you love fruit tarts, do yourself a favour and make this one.

5 comments:

Amanda said...

I am very impressed with your restraint. This tart looks amazing and I'm not at all sure I could have shared so much of it.

Dressed and Eaten said...

The crust and the custard sound delightful. I love semolina added to desserts. Candied fruit... yum!

Anonymous said...

Your tart looks great with all the blood orange slices tucked away so perfectly.

Cindy said...

Yes, it does look delish. How kind of you to share such a wonderful dessert.

Elaine said...

I really love the flavor of blood oranges. They should be available here soon, so I will have to make this. It looks fabulous!