Tuesday, July 26, 2011

TWD - Creamy Dark Chocolate Sorbet



On Saturday afternoon, Seven Two rescreened the last ever episode of the seventies British sitcom, Man About the House.  Although my family are fans of this show, having seen endless reruns over the years, I had never previously seen the final episode, in which one of the female housemates, Chrissy, gets married - thereby destroying the premise of the show of two girls and one guy flatting together.

I enjoy watching this show as much for the fashions of a now-bygone era as the nudge, nudge, wink, wink repartee.    When Chrissy married Norman, the older brother of "the man about the house", Robin, the day had a mostly chocolate flavour about the fashions.  Chrissy wore a cream floral peasant blouse with a cream and brown skirt; Robin wore a cream suit with a dark chocolate waistcoat; and the groom wore a dark chocolate brown three piece ensemble.   These items of clothing would be the stuff of children's dress-up boxes today, but back then (circa 1976), I assume they were the height of fashion.

This brings me onto this week's choice from Steph of A Whisk and A Spoon for Tuesday with Dorie - namely, Creamy Dark Chocolate Sorbet, of a hue the same colour as Norman's suit in the final episode of Man About the House.

I wasn't sure what to make of this recipe - a chocolate ice confection with no cream and minimal milk, and added water?  At first, it seemed grainy in the pan, and the words "uh oh" went through my head, but ultimately, this came good, and it turned into a rather tasty treat.  I prefer creamy chocolate icecream hands down, but if you want something that is a little less naughty nutritionally (but not much less - there is a lot of chocolate in this), then Dorie's chocolate sorbet may be the treat for you.

I served a scoop of sorbet in a gorgeous Cornishware  egg cup - I have been eager to use an egg cup ever since I bought a set of them, and now was my chance.  Even though it is quite cold here, it took no time at all for the sorbet to start to melt, but I thought the drips down the side of the egg cup looked rather artistic. The lighting is bad because it gets dark very early on here, but I had no other time to take a photo, and the lighting is generally pretty poor in my rented flat - but you get the idea of the deep chocolate colour of this sorbet, which is indicative of its flavour.

Thanks to our host this week, Steph - she will have the recipe, or get your hands on Dorie's book, Baking From My Home to Yours.  To check out what the other Doristas thought of this sorbet, visit the LYL section of the TWD website.

9 comments:

Lauren Hairston said...

Love your egg cup! I always have problems with photography because I'm afraid that ice cream will melt or our dinner will get cold!

Chocolate sorbet would be perfect for the weather we're having here although it might melt before it even gets to an egg cup!

Three-Cookies said...

I am also curious, there is an inclination towards milk/cream based chocolate desserts. I will give this a try out of curiosity

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

OMG I remember that show! I used to watch it all the time although I used to wonder why everyone thought that Robin was so cute. He wasn't to me!

Peggy said...

Love the egg cup and glad you finally got to use it! Your sorbet looks delicious. Mine was a bit grainy too,but tasted delicious.

Joy said...

I love the melty picture!
Mine was a little grainy, too, but still tasty :)

steph- whisk/spoon said...

what a darling eggcup--perfect for a taste of sorbet! thanks so much for making it with me this week! :)

Anonymous said...

It looks fabulous melting over the sides of the egg cup! I was concerned about the water in the recipe too, but I thought this tasted great - so chocolatey.

Man About the House sounds quite a bit like a show called Three's Company - there was even a girl named Chrissy. I have no idea what happened on the last episode of that show though.

Elaine said...

Your "Man About the House" sounds like our "Three's Company" that was popular in the 70s here. It was a fun show. I think I would prefer to eat ice cream from that pretty cup than an egg any day!

margot said...

Melty sorbet, yum! Yeah, I thought it was a bit less naughty until I realized there was nearly half a pound of chocolate - worth the calories, though.