Monday, June 20, 2011

Grapefruit marmalade


Jan from work recently gave me a huge bag full of grapefruit from her mother's tree.  They were very gratefully received, and my first thought as to what to make with them was grapefruit marmalade.

After flicking through  a few recipes, I chose to make Nigella Lawson's pink grapefruit marmalade from p351 of How To Be A Domestic Goddess, using ordinary grapefruit rather than pink grapefruit.  You can find the recipe online here.  This recipe won me over because it does not require the fruit to be soaked for 24 hours beforehand, and the whole of the fruit is used, pith and all.

The finished product is a rather bitey marmalade, despite the 1kg of sugar used in making it.  I assume that using the pith as well as the flesh and skin of the grapefruit added to the tartness.  However, if you like your marmalade to really zing, this is a good recipe to use, and it is a no fuss way to make marmalade.

6 comments:

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

It's been ages since I looked at HTBADG but I should as there are so many lovely gems in it like this!

Anonymous said...

Homemade jams and marmalade are things I haven't tried yet. Yours looks delicious, so I'll have to try it!

adele said...

Mmm, tangy marmalade. Sounds good!

Amanda said...

I have a glut of lemons at the moment and have made lemon butter and preserved lemons so far. Was thinking about a lemon marmalade, but have been told it will be fat too tart - a bit like the grapefruit marmalade, I suspect.

Lauren Hairston said...

I love grapefruit! I don't know that I've ever had a grapefruit that wasn't a Texas Ruby Red, though. They have grocery-store domination here.

I've been wanting to try preserving for a while now and I think I'm ready to try it this season. You've been inspiring me!

Anonymous said...

Lovely photo! Maybe you could spread some on toast and sprinkle a bit of extra sugar on top.