Tuesday, February 22, 2011

TWD - Toasted Almond Scones


 Have you ever smelled food wafting through a window or door and been carried away by the scent?  Fresh baking bread has to be one of my favourite smells in the world.  For a fabulous sensory poem that includes references to smells, see Rupert Brooke's "The Great Lover".

I could become a great lover of this week's Tuesday with Dorie pick from Mike of Living Out West.  He chose Dorie's Toasted Almond Scones.  The smell of these scones both during baking and afterwards carries you away to another place - it is absolutely heavenly.  I took them to work wrapped in a tea towel, and I was reluctant to wash that tea towel, because the gorgeous smell of the toasted almonds in these scones lingered, beckoning me within.

Here is my scone spread with Nuttelex - for work, I split the scones in half and spread them with sour cherry jam.


I only got 8 scones (not 12), but wished for more - these are delightful.

Thanks to Mike for this week's pick - he will have the recipe, or buy the book.  To drool over some more of these scones, visit the LYL section at the TWD website.

22 comments:

Juliana said...

Scones...I haven't tried to make them yet...and almond sure sounds and looks good. Have a great week ahead :-)

jasmine said...

Almond pastries always draw me in--they look as if they'd go so nicely with a hot cup of milky coffee.

j

Anonymous said...

Delightful says it all! I really enjoyed these too.

Pamela said...

I almost didn't make these. I'm glad I did, since my husband fell in love with them. They look so good!

Nutmeg Nanny said...

These look great! I love scones...they are perfect for breakfast :)

Judy said...

We really loved these scones. Not too sweet and lots of almond flavor. Definitely worth making again.

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Ooh your description of these and the smell is divine. I'm sure this recipe will get a workout come winter! :D

mike509 said...

I'm SO glad you liked these - they are now a favorite of mine! Sour cherry, what a great idea. Where do you get sour cherry jam - I've only seen "cherry" jam... they look wonderful - thanks so much for baking along with me this week!

Cakelaw said...

Hi Mike, I bought an enormous jar of sour cherry jam made in Serbia from a Greek deli in Preston - go figure! The jam is online here but there is no picture:

http://www.madeinserbia.net/Products/Food_and_drinks/Canned_caterers/////Marmelada_visnja_870g/421.html

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I could sure go for a lovely scone right now and the way you describe this particular recipe I wish it were these. Toasted almonds sound amazing.

Elaine said...

Your scones look delightful. I agree that the smell of them while baking and afterwards was heavenly. Another great idea with the Nutella! I froze some so I will try this with the next batch.

Cindy said...

These did smell delish. What a wonderful treat--I'm sure your coworkers loved them.

Chats the Comfy Cook said...

Putting jam or cheese or butter on these is a great idea.

Unknown said...

Oh yes, I am often carried away by the smell of carbs in the oven, or fried stuff. These scones look delicious. With the spread on top, I bet they were positively dreamy!
*kisses* HH

Anonymous said...

Your scones look delicious! I'm glad they had a wonderful smell. It's disappointing when the item you're baking doesn't give off that yummy smell.

Flourchild said...

My husband would love that Sour cherry jam! YOur scones look awesome..I like the picture with the butter smothered on top!

Mary said...

I'm sad too that these are all gone. I bet they were fantastic with cherry jam--I must make some this summer. They look great in that tea towel--have you washed it yet?
:)

margot said...

The scones look terrific. I enjoyed them with a bit of jam as well, so good.

Jeannette said...

these look so amazing! and they much have been perfect with sour cherry jam!

Hazel - Chicken in a Cherry Sauce said...

I agree that the smell of almonds is delicious. It should be made into a perfume! I couldn't think of anything better to put with these other than the cherry jam. They sound truly wonderful!

The Caked Crusader said...

Almond scones...what's not to love! These look great

Kayte said...

We just loved these, too, with the almonds, the almond extract, etc. just really really nice. The only thing nicer is the thought of these with cherry jam...almonds and cherries just seem to go together. Yours look wonderful!