Tuesday, February 8, 2011

TWD - Southern Bread Pudding


This week's Tuesday with Dorie recipe, chosen by Sharon of Simply Southern, was Bourbon Bread Pudding - which gave me the perfect opportunity to use up the remainder of my stollen from Christmas. (After all, it is now February - I don't want stollen living in my freezer for the rest of the year.)

This bread pudding is made pretty much like any other bread pudding, with chopped up bread soaked in custard before being baked 'til golden brown. Dorie added bourbon to the custard - I gave my bread pudding a Scottish twist and used Glenfiddich instead.

I ate a slice warm, and as Dorie suggested it would, it was fantastic served as is:


I did find the custard rather "eggy", but this was not a drawback for me - I quite like egg custard.

To check out how the other TWD members went with this pudding, check out the TWD blogroll.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

This looks delicious. I especially like the Glenfiddich addition!

Kayte said...

Looks like a great bread pudding...okay, okay, I don't like bread pudding, but as bread puddings go, this one looks really nice. I say the same things about chocolate each week and I don't like that either, so just go with it, okay? lol I did a rewind, it just came out of the oven, so that's what I am posting tomorrow instead of the bread pudding.

The Blonde Duck said...

Oh it sounds divine!!!

Flourchild said...

I love the way it looks! Eggy would be all right for me too!

Anonymous said...

Darnit, I have some stollen-type bread in my freezer - I should have made this bread pudding!

Johanna GGG said...

glad you found a bread and butter pudding to love - maybe E would like this with the scottish whisky - I am not so keen on eggy but quite fancy stollen in the pudding

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Yum! I love Southern bread pudding and sometimes have it with a whiskey or bourbon sauce :)

Bella Baker said...

Looks yummy! So glad you enjoyed it! I thought it was delicious too!

Mary Bergfeld said...

The pudding looks and sounds delicious. As far as I'm concerned there's nothing wrong with a little rum, whiskey or scotch. The spiked custard can make an ordinary dessert quite lovely. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

Jessica of My Baking Heart said...

Nice touch with the Glenfiddich! :) Looks great!

Amber Marie said...

Looks great!

Sharon said...

I bet my husband would love this made with Glennfiddich. Thanks so much for baking along with me.

Mary said...

Scotch sounds like a great idea! I would have used stollen too, except I never made it...
I had to use crumpets instead. I liked it, but I wish I had got some of those crusty bits on top like you did.
:)

Victor said...

Such a delicious pudding! Sure going to give this a try!

Elaine said...

Bread pudding is such a great comfort 'food'. :) And a perfect way to use up bread in the bread box or freezer. Your bread pudding looks like it has a perfect consistency.