Friday, February 11, 2011

FFwD - Orange and Almond Tart




I can't believe that Friday has rolled around again already.  It has been a busy week for me, made even busier by the fact that I have had a head cold all week, which gives you a great smoochy grey blanket aura.

This week's French Fridays with Dorie recipe is the reverse  of the cotton wool-like bubble that my head has been occupying this week - it's bright, it's sunny, it's got sharp citrus flavours - why, it's an orange and almond tart!  My tart looks like its just floating there in my photo, but it is actually sitting on a white desk - I had to take another photo at work because the ones I took at home did not turn out.  The tart is comprised of a pastry shell, filled with almond cream and topped with segmented oranges.

My oranges were of the navel variety, which did not make for nice  segments because the navel takes a chunk out of the top of each segment.  With the pastry shell, I used up the rest of the pastry that I made for the fruit mince tarts before Christmas.  It is very buttery pastry, hence it went a deep golden brown with the hour cooking time.  I glazed the top of the tart with apple jelly - because I could.

My taste tester Sandra loved this tart, and gave it one of the best ratings I have had in ages.  I liked it too - the almond cream goes chewy with baking, and the oranges add a tart kick to it.

Other fruits can be substituted for the oranges (eg plums, figs, apricots), all of which would be delicious and work with the almond cream.

To check out some more great tarts, visit the LYL link at the FFwD website.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your tart looks delicious. You can actually see your fruit! When I post mine tomorrow, you will see how mine got covered.

Flourchild said...

I had so much other baking to do ..I did not get to this one! It sure looks good and what a great rating it got!:0)

Gloria Baker said...

Cakelaw look really amazing! I love it! x gloria

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

Wasn't the almond cream incredible??? I used pears instead of oranges and it was SO good! Glad your taste tester was impressed :)

Cher Rockwell said...

Ah - this was definitely one of my favorites too date. Very nice.

Unknown said...

TGIF, I am tired!!! I'd love a nice slice of this tart. I think orange and almonds are an amazing combination.
*kisses* HH

Kathy said...

I love anything with almonds..I knew I would love this tart by just reading the recipe. I was not disappointed! Yours came out beautiful!!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful tart. Love the flavours.

Elaine said...

I love the thick crust on your tart. It turned out so pretty and I love the way you photographed it this week! I hope you are feeling better.

Cakelaw said...

Thanks Elaine, I am on the road to recovery.

SoupAddict said...

Very nice! Good job, especially with a cold. :)

Anonymous said...

Yours looks beautiful! I love the way that your oranges look, chunk missing or no.

Glad to hear you're on the mend.

Anonymous said...

This sounds really good, and I like the "floating tart" photo! Hope you're feeling better for the weekend!

tricia s. said...

I had the same impression of "is it Friday already" ? Then I chuckled and recalled that I had to post late mid week because that is when I got my Basque Potato Tortilla finally done :) We adored this recipe and both Nana and I look forward to trying many variations. Great job !

♥Sugar♥Plum♥Fairy♥ said...

With a pretty tart like that and with the fantastic flavor ,u sure more than deserve a high rating :-)
Ha ha , i love the ''floating'' pic:-)Looks yummy too!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

That looks delicious! I really like citrus cakes-it lightens them up and makes me want to eat more :P

Mary said...

I am tormenting myself by looking at all these tarts! I love the picture, and I love citrus and almond together. i just got too busy with the Daring Cooks and never gor this made. I do have the pastry ready in the fridge so perhaps I'll have a French Wednesday.
:)

Steph said...

I love the floating tart look! I found segmenting the oranges to be a bit of a pain too! But boy was the tart yummy. Lovely work.