Monday, February 28, 2011

Alfajores for World Dulce de Leche Day







When Brilynn of Jumbo Empanadas announced that she was creating a World Dulce de Leche Day event, I was in.  Who can resist that sweet, sticky magical substance known as dulce de leche, a caramel flavoured delight?

I chose to make alfajores.  Alfajores are caramel sandwich cookies that incorporate cornflour, and are a popular treat in Spain and Latin America.  Until my friend Elisa made alfajores from a kit, I had never heard of them.  However, with their sweet dulce de leche centres, I thought that alfajores would be perfect for World Dulce de Leche Day.

The recipe that I used for my alfajores can be found here.

These cookies are quite straight forward to make, and taste delicious.  I bought my dulce de leche pre-made to make life easier, but if you make the David Lebovitz baked version, it is easy enough to do and isn't scary (like boiling a tin can be).

Elisa said these cookies were very good.  I liked them too - it's hard not to like cookies filled with dulce de leche!

Visit Brilynn's blog to see more great dulce de leche ideas.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love dulce de leche, and having it sandwiched between two cookies sounds perfect. I'm sorry I missed the holiday!

Johanna GGG said...

never heard of alfajores either but am glad I have now - they sound delicious - will need to check out all the recipes because I love dulce de leche

adele said...

Mmm. Alfajores are definitely on my to-do list. :)

Amanda said...

Perfect! I just bought a jar of dulce de leche and have been bravely resisting opening it and attacking it with a spoon.
Now, I can be much more sensible with it, thanks!

Ivy said...

Alfajores are new to me but they sound delicious with dulce de leche. I always make my own as it is not yet sold in the supermarkets.

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Alfajores are so good and so sweet! I didn't realise that there was a DDL day though! I also missed Nutella day too. Clearly my calender is one of those boring ones :(

Cakelaw said...

Amanda, I have to confess that with the rest of the jar, I have been attacking it with a spoon!

The Blonde Duck said...

I could eat dulce de leche daily!

Anonymous said...

I'd never heard of these cookies, but they look yummy!

Gloria Baker said...

Your alfajores Cake Law look perfect and delicious!!! gloria

Brilynn said...

I tried making alfajores once after a lovely fellow blogger sent me some from South America, yours look like the real deal, mine were somewhat pitiful! Thanks for playing along with World Dulce de Leche Day! :)

Beth said...

Wish I'd known about World Dulce de Leche day. I'd have happily participated!

Lauren Hairston said...

Sounds (and looks) delicious! I somehow feel that the world is a better place if there is a World Dulce de Leche Day!

Elaine said...

Your alfajores look marvelous! I will have to try to remember about Dulce de Leche day for next year.