Tuesday, December 7, 2010

TWD - Transluscent Maple Tuiles


This week's Tuesday with Dorie host is my blogging pal Clivia of Bubie's Little Baker. She selected Dorie's Translucent Maple Tuiles (pronounced "tweals" and named because they resemble roof tiles when curled).

These little biscuits have next to nothing in them, and the dough is a breeze to make. Unlike normal tuiles, there is no fussy template required - you just roll the dough into small balls, and the cookies do their thing in the oven, emerging like a caterpillar from a coccoon as beautiful, lacy butterflies.

Unfortunately, my butterflies gave me a few headaches - the bottom tray burned, while the top tray was not cooked quite enough and had to be returned to the oven. The tuiles that I tries to curl around a rolling pin proceeded to stick to said rolling pin, so I gave it up and am happy with the lacy flat tuiles that you see at the top of this post.

These cookies have a buttery, rich flavour, and look gorgeous, so I will try them again at some point.

Thanks to Clivia for hosting us this week - she will have the recipe, or you will find it in the book, Baking From My Home to Yours. To check out how the other TWD members went, visit the TWD blogroll.

19 comments:

The Blonde Duck said...

They look like lacey shortbread! I'm intrigued...

Mary said...

Only a few headaches? Lucky you! I finally got them right, but I don't think I'll ever tackle them again. They are gorgeous, but too rich for me. Imagine that!

Anonymous said...

Your tuiles turned out so pretty and lacy, you could put a delicate teacup on top of them!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

I love tuiles and how crispy and buttery they are. Great idea making maple flavoured ones! :D

Juliana said...

Wow, your tuiles are so pretty, so delicate :-)

Amanda said...

I admire your commitment - these look lovely, but must have been quite delicate to work with!

Hindy said...

The main thing is that they are delicious. I'm so glad yours turned out. They are nice and lacy. And you got them off the pan which I found the hardest part.
Thanks for baking along with me this week!

Anonymous said...

The flat ones look nice! I didn't make these, but I know I would have been frustrated!

stef said...

I support desserts in all their shapes and forms.

Well done you.

Unknown said...

Hmm I wonder... since they are so light and airy, I wonder if i could eat like 50 of them in front of the tv and not gain weight. That would be my dream cookie.
*kisses* HH

Nutmeg Nanny said...

I have never made tuiles. They look great :)

Ivy said...

I've never made tuilles before. They look wonderful.

steph- whisk/spoon said...

a flat tuile is every bit as tasty as a rolled one, and yours look just lovely!

mike said...

These were rather challenging weren't they? But kudos to you for the effort - they look wonderful!

Kayte said...

Yours look wonderful. I have decided that these might be easier and turn out better the more I do them, that there is a fine art to tuiles making and I need to get proficient at it sooner rather than later because these were delicious!

Brenda said...

Mmmm yummy! I've never tried making them before but you may have just convince me to give it a go : )

Anonymous said...

Very intrigued by the title. Translucent! It's indeed. Love the maple flavour.

limo hire said...

They looks adorable...crisp and wonderfully golden brown

Amber Marie said...

These are tricky little things! You did get some pretty ones though. These got the better of me!