Tuesday, December 14, 2010

TWD - Apple Coconut Family Cake



This week's Tuesday with Dorie challenge, chosen by Amber of Cobbler Du Monde, was Dorie's Apple Coconut Family Cake. This cake and I were obviously meant for each other, because it gave me no problems whatsoever - which is the confidence boost I need after some of the kitchen tragedies I have had lately.

This cake is not dissimilar to Marie-Helene's Apple Cake that we made recently for French Fridays with Dorie, in that it is a sponge-like cake containing diced apples. However, it is a little fancier in that it contains coconut, and has a very pretty apple pattern on top glazed with apple jelly.

The cake itself is light and moist from the fruit, and would be perfect served warm with a little icecream on the side. Me, I just ate it plain:


Amber will have the recipe, and you can check out everyone else's take on this cake by visiting the TWD blogroll.

16 comments:

Kayte said...

This looks very pretty. I am sitting here wondering if I am going to make this. We are sort of dessert-ed out at the moment and this is one really large cake. Yours looks good, and we do love apples...too early to tell. It was fun seeing yours, though!

Johanna GGG said...

love your apple design on top of the cake - it looks gorgeous - and it looks like you enjoyed it

The Blonde Duck said...

Love apples!

Gloria Baker said...

This look really delicious Cakelaw, x gloria

CurlyPops said...

Oh yum! That looks just like what I need for brekkie right now - it's healthy because it has apple right?

Anonymous said...

Mmm...I may have to try this cake because I love coconut! It's rare that I see it in a dessert that isn't just a plain white cake with white frosting and coconut shavings all over.

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Yum! I love apple cakes-they're so delightfully moist! :D

Finla said...

I should look in the book I have from her if the recipe is thee. The cake looks so so good.

Unknown said...

I wouldn't have thought of putting coconut and apples together, but they are both flavours that I really like, especially coconut :D. And yes, a little ice cream on the side never hurts ;)
*kisses* HH

Juliana said...

What a lovely cake...looks so cute how you presented, and the flavor sure sounds yummie :-)

Beth said...

Your cake looks great. Apple desserts rock!

Amber Marie said...

I'm glad it worked so well for you! Nothing like an easy cake. I had quite a disaster last week, so I'm glad this one was simple!

Judy said...

Beautiful cake! You make it sound so delicious that I will have to make it again so I can taste it.

Jessica of My Baking Heart said...

So glad you enjoyed it - gorgeous! :)

Tia said...

i agree - plain is good!

Anonymous said...

Lovely pattern with the apple slices! You're so dedicated to bake with the group every week.