Thursday, December 30, 2010

Coin Laundry, Armadale


Just before Christmas, I went for brunch with my friends Craig, Steve, Veronica and Christian to a cafe called Coin Laundry in Armadale. It is tucked just behind Armadale Station. As the name suggests, the building housing the cafe used to be a coin laundry, and has been converted into a popular local cafe.

Inside, the cafe is light, bright and open, with fabric details on the walls and ceiling as decoration:



The breakfast menu sounded fabulous, and I could have eaten anything on it. There is something for everyone - bread, fruit, cereal, beans and, for the die hard carnivore, a fry up.

I chose the poached fruits with goats milk yoghurt and honey caramel ($11.50):



I was not all that keen on the texture of the yoghurt, and there was definitely more yoghurt than fruit, but it all tasted terrific as a combination. The slightly tangy flavour of the yoghurt was balanced by the sweetness of the caramel and the smooth coolness of the poached pear and rhubarb.

Other dishes that my friends sampled included a bircher muesli with coconut and passionfruit (~$9), a bean cassoulet with green olive tapenade (~$12), a champagne ham and cheddar foccaccia (~$9) and the Coin Laundry breakfast (~$16) - that is, a fry up, with exceptionally crispy bacon, eggs, bread and all the usual trimmings. (No black pudding though - in Australia, fry ups rarely come with black pudding.)

The service was efficient and friendly, and my friends already had a table when I arrived.

I would definitely go back to the Coin Laundry - it's a great newish venue for a casual meeting with friend.

Coin Laundry Cafe
61A Armadale Street
Armadale VIC 3143
Ph: 03 9500 1888

4 comments:

Ivy said...

It's a peculiar name to keep for a cafe but the decoration inside looks beautiful.

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

hehe I love these quirky Melbourne cafe names! :P

Jennifer said...

What a lovely post...and that honey caramel alone sounds spectacular.

Mary said...

What a great name for the cafe! I think I will have to try my own version of the coconut and passionfruit bircher muesli, as that sounds delicious. I hope you had a good Christmas, and have a very happy new year!
:)