Tuesday, November 16, 2010

TWD - Raspberry Lime Galette


Do you ever have "those days" in the kitchen? You know the ones - where no matter what you do, things just don't work out as you'd planned. Such was the case for me with this week's Tuesday with Dorie challenge, hosted by Whitney, April and Elizabeth of Celestial Confections. They chose Dorie's Cranberry Lime Galette.

As I mentioned in a previous post, any cranberries other than dried cranberries are as scarce as hen's teeth in Australia. Accordingly, I substituted the cranberries for raspberries - they are red, tart berries, so I thought they'd fit the bill perfectly. I otherwise made the recipe as Dorie stated, including the optional dried cranberries. Despite my opening paragraph, I loved the flavour of this galette - a little bit sweet (raspberry jam, apple, brown sugar) ad a little bit sour (raspberries, dried cranberries and lime zest). Unfortunately, my galette looked like a huge flat jam drop, because I made it on a very warm night (the temperature would have been in the high twenties Celsius), and I made the mistake of NOT rechilling my galette after formation before baking to firm up the dough. I just bunged it in the oven, and it spread like mad, so that I ended up with what you can see at the top of the post. It was impossible to lift it without it falling to pieces, so I just left it on the rather grubby looking piece of baking paper. I took it to work and cut off sections from around the edge which would stay together, and as for the fruit-laden middle section - well, I just ate that myself with a spoon straight off the paper. We have to make sacrifices sometimes, LOL. It was very popular with the troops, so there is a silver lining in this cloud, as well as a valuable baking lesson.

Here are some step by step photos to show you what should have happened:
First you roll out the dough and "line" it with a mixture of nuts and dried breadcrumbs (or in my case, LSA and wheatgerm) to soak up some of the fruit juices so the middle doesn't fall out of the galette:


Next, you pile on the prepared fruit:



Finally, you fold up the sides of the galette to form a rustic pie:


At this stage, you should chill the galette for twenty minutes or so before baking so that it doesn't do what mine did and spread into a bubbling, flat amoeba.


To see how the other TWD guys and gals went with this galette, visit the TWD website.
Celestial Confections will have the recipe, or buy the book.

26 comments:

The Blonde Duck said...

I've always wanted to try a galette.

yummychunklet said...

Despite the end look, I'm glad that you still enjoyed the taste! And, honestly, if it tastes good, most people will eat it any which way. Great post!

Catherine said...

Mmmm this sounds incredibly delish!
Lovely post & recipe!
Cheers~

Flourchild said...

I love galettes....I would have SO done the same thing you did and skipped the chilling part...I get in ahurry and try to take shortcuts. It looks so good before it was baked...ha ha..at least it tasted good and everyone enjoyed. Im going to try and make mine tonight..will see..it's craZy busy this week!

Nutmeg Nanny said...

I had one of those days today. That is why there is tons of crumbly chocolate cake sitting in my trash can...sigh.

However your little galette still sounds great!

Valerie Gamine said...

All that matters is the taste. But I understand the frustration, I've been there far too many times. :)

Chats the Comfy Cook said...

Mine looked sad also. I just now, realized, reading yours that I forgot to put it in the fridge after forming it. At least, that explains,its condition. I thought, it was because I made it gluten-free.

Lorraine @NotQuiteNigella said...

Ahh well but I bet it tasted great! :D

Johanna GGG said...

it looks delicious - I love raspberries and think they would go well with the lsa - I thought of you with your lsa when I made some cookies with mine recently - glad to see you are being creative about using it up

Mary said...

Oh no! I have lots of those days too. However, I definitely would have joined you in eating the middle of this with a spoon, because the filling sounds fantastic. What is isa/lsa?

Jacque said...

Galettes are a tad finicky, aren't they? OH well, yours sounds wonderful and I think I would have preferred it to the cranberries which were just too tart to me.

Judy said...

I don't recall chilling mine before baking it. Guess I lucked out in many ways! Glad everyone enjoyed your galette.

msihua said...

Oh no! I feel your pain!!! But I'm happy that the taste was still awesome!!!

Cakelaw said...

Hi Mary, LSA is linseed/soy/almond - it looks and tastes very much like a nut meal.

Nicole said...

We all have days like that! I didn't chill mine but the dough was ok.

Ivy said...

We all have such kind of accidents every now and then but at least it was still delicious to eat.

blackbookkitchendiaries said...

oh no, but it must have taste good:)

Juliana said...

Your flat amoeba must taste yummie, love the combination of lime and raspberry :-)

Leslie said...

No no no, mine looks WAY worse! But it sounds like we ate them identically...we just didn't know we made galette twins half a world away from each other!

Cakelaw said...

Scary - galette twins, LOL!

Anonymous said...

We all have "those days"! But since your galette tasted good, I think you can call it a success!

Emma @CakeMistress said...

Ah, nuts :(
But on the upside your next galette pastry will be super-amazing perfection.

Julia @Mélanger said...

I have such a weakness for pastry. This looks delicious! :)

Conor @ Hold the Beef said...

Super spready or not, if it tastes good then meh, who cares? Well, you do, obviously, and I'm sure I would too but you know what I mean ;)

Looks tasty, that's what I mean!

Jeannette said...

sometimes 'those days' make for the best treats!! i bet your galette was still delicious!!

TeaLady said...

Love making galettes. So easy.

Have to try with raspberries. Sounds super!!