Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Blueberry Oatmeal Muffins


I am always searching for lunchbox snacks to tide me over before lunch, so when I saw Johanna's Blueberry Oatmeal Muffins on Gourmet Green Giraffe, I was sold.

I even bought the LSA to make these muffins, but on re-reading Johanna's post, I realised that Johanna bought it and put it in baking because she didn't know what else to do with it, LOL! The lady at the health food shop told me not to put it in baking "because it loses its goodness", but I ignored her, because this is why I bought it. Oh well, it was a bargain at $5 something for a massive container, so I don't mind. I am figuring you could use it in place of nut meal in cakes, and it is way cheaper than nut meal.

If you like sweet muffins, these are not for you. There is only a quarter of a cup of brown sugar in the whole batch, with the only other sweetness coming from the blueberries. If you wanted more sweetness without adding sugar to the batter, you could put streusel on top of the muffins. These muffins even smell healthy immediately after baking because of the wheatgerm (which I had left over from another project). They are kind of like the shredded wheatmeal biscuit of muffins - pleasant and filling, but not a dessert-style treat. For that reason, they are perfect in my lunch - they are guilt free and keep me away from the chocolate vending machine.

Thanks to Johanna for the recipe, which I have linked to above.

9 comments:

Gloria Baker said...

Lovely and tasty muffins Cake in law! gloria

Anonymous said...

I like healthy, not-to-sweet muffins, and these sound like the perfect thing to bring to work for a snack.

Finla said...

My fav bluberry muffins and this just looks so perfect.

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Oh I didn't realise that baking the LSA wasn't good although I do recall reading that almonds are better for you raw. Still, I'm sure these tasted fabulous and I'm sure they still have some goodness to them! :)

Conor @ Hold the Beef said...

I think if you pulled one of these out of your lunchbox at work you'd be getting a lot of envious looks. Well done for ignoring the health food lady ;)

Sarah @ For the Love of Food said...

This is just the kind of guilt free muffin I like! When I get my oven (and kitchen) back in action I'll make these (I've bookmarked the recipe) - thanks!

Nutmeg Nanny said...

What a delicious looking muffin! Such a perfect breakfast treat :)

Emma @CakeMIstress said...

Sound and look like a fabulous addition to the lunchbox or a healthy snack. Lovely :)

Jennifer said...

Oh yum! I just love blueberry muffins-these look fabulous!!!!!