Tuesday, June 8, 2010

TWD - Tender Shortcake


When I was growing up, Happy Days was a staple of afternoon entertainment in our house. In Happy Days, Fonzie's pet name for Joanie Cunningham was "Shortcake". I had no idea what a shortcake was back then, but I thought it sounded delicious - after all, it contained the word "cake".


However, until this wee
k's Tuesday with Dorie, when our host Cathy of The Tortefeasor chose Dorie's Tender Shortcakes, I had never actually made a shortcake. A shortcake is, in my view, very similar to a scone, but perhaps sweeter and flakier, and is traditionally split and filled with fruit and cream. The most popular version of the shortcake is the Strawberry Shortcake - so popular, in fact, that Strawberry Shortcake was the name of a strawberry scented, red headed doll when I was a child. (I understand that Strawberry Shortcake has undergone a makeover and has re-emerged for today's children as a more glamorous version of her former self.)



Here are the shortcakes themselves - they are very delicate and crumbly, as Dorie said they should be:




I filled just one of my shortcakes with blackberries and cream, and enjoyed it for breakfast. The rest are still sitting on the tray, and I will most likely eat them "naked", as a TWD member suggested.


If you want to try these, Cathy will have the recipe on
her site. Otherwise, go and check out how the other TWD members went with these shortcakes at the TWD website.

22 comments:

Jules Someone said...

Mmmmm. Yours turned out really well! Glad to see mine weren't the only saucer shaped ones.

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

hehe I was the same. I was dying to try strawberry shortcake for my whole childhood! And :o at the new Strawberry Shortcake-wow! She looks very different!

Mary said...

What a decadent breakfast! it looks gorgeous with all those blackberries and cream.

TLC said...

yummmm yours looks divine!

veron said...

What a luscious shortcake. YUM!

Chats the Comfy Cook said...

I like your idea of the new strawberry shortcake. It certainly is.

When I was a kid, it was cakey. This is better.

Bella Baker said...

They look great!! I had a strawberry shortcake doll too!!

Ivy said...

I am sure they tasted great. I just read Natalia's post and she was wondering what is the difference between shortcake and biscuit.

Johanna GGG said...

I've never had an edible strawberry shortcake but the idea of the doll being glamourous just doesn't seem right

Unknown said...

They look positively scrumptious!
Try some of the "naked" ones with some strawberry jam, that should be good.
*kisses* HH

Chef Dennis Littley said...

those are gorgeous shortcakes....They look so good with the blackberries!

Conor @ Hold the Beef said...

That looks so good with the blackberries and oozy oozy cream.

Not so sure about the new Strawberry Shortcake though. What happened to her freckles??

The Blonde Duck said...

I've never had shortcakes before!

Brenda said...

Haha I remember strawberry shortcake, she was like a cult for little girls.....oh dear we are showing our age LOL!!!!
Love your shortcakes, they look delicious!

Cathy said...

Your shortcakes look perfect! The blackberries and cream look wonderful, but they definitely look good enough to eat naked! I'm so glad that you enjoyed these - thank you so much for baking along with me this week!

Peggy said...

That sounds delicious to have these for breakfast. I've made just regular biscuits before and eaten with fresh strawberries. Cathy made a great pick this week.

Jennifer said...

Oh, how I LOVED Happy Days. I always wanted to be just like Pinky Tuscadaro.

Your shortcakes look perfect!!!

Anonymous said...

Your shortcake with the fresh berries looks delicious. I'm not too sure about the made over Strawberry Shortcake - the old one is the classic!

The Caked Crusader said...

I've still never tried shortcake! These look yummy though!

natalia said...

Your shorthcakes look heavenly !

aforkfulofspaghetti said...

Oh, my goodness me - they look SO good... especially with all that lovely fruit and drizzly cream... Perfect for summer!

TeaLady said...

They were quite a bit like scones, weren't they. And very tasty to boot. And good plain.

Yours turned out perfectly. And with blackberries I bet they were tasty.