Tuesday, June 15, 2010

TWD - Raisin Swirl Bead


This week's Tuesday with Dorie is hosted by an Aussie blogger, Susan of Food Baby. She chose Raisin Swirl Bread from Dorie's book for our challenge this week.


My biggest challenge with yeasted products in winter is getting them to rise. However, I had no trouble with this bread, as I stuck it in front of the gas fire for the rising periods.



I was surprised my loaf rose at all, as I thoughtlessly subbed in about half of the flour for buckwheat flour, which is gluten-free (as I'd run put of plain flour and it was too cold and dark to go to the shops). Hmm ... Despite this, the bread rose happily anyway.



Instead of raisins, I used sultanas, and I used all of the inclusions in the recipe except nutmeg (which I don't have at present). I also sprinkled sugar on top of the bread before baking.



This bread tasted rather delicious, espcially when fresh. Here is the first slice being generously spread with Nuttelex:



To check out the recipe, buy the book or visit Susan's site. For other opinions on this bread, visit the TWD blogroll.

20 comments:

Ivy said...

Love raisins and sultanas. This bread is perfect for breakfast.

Mr. P said...

What are you doing to me? That is exactly what I want to eat right now! :)

Susan @ My Wholefood Family Essentials said...

You got a great colour on your loaf, it looks delish! Good to know it works equally well with some buckwheat flour. Thanks for baking with me :-)

veron said...

I have fond memories of raisin bread. we made this at the bakeshop and my dad and i would always save a loaf for midnight snacks. :) this looks delicious!

Jules Someone said...

I wish I would have thought to sprinkle the loaf with sugar. That looks great!

Cindy said...

Looks delish! Fun recipe.

Leslie said...

Yum yum! Look at that beautiful loaf! I loved how easy and forgiving this one was, but it disappeared too fast.

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

I love Nuttelex too! :) I sometimes find putting the bowl in a larger bowl of warm/hot water often helps with Winter rising :)

Unknown said...

I made a very similar recipe, so I know how good this is. It took a lot of time to make it, but it was totally worth it. Yours looks fab!
*kisses* HH

Peggy said...

Love your idea of sprinkling with sugar. I think it would be great with a few more spices and more sugar. Yours looks fantastic.

Kayte said...

What fun your creative touches are to this bread...it looks just wonderful and all of it sounds just great. Very nice.

Anonymous said...

It looks like it turned out great with the buckwheat flour! It's funny to hear about cold weather when it's summer and just warming up here.

Katie@Cozydelicious said...

Your bread looks so perfect! Look at ath e swirl! Amazing. I love raisin bread... I totally have to make this.

TeaLady said...

Yeast is hardy stuff. Glad to know other flours can be subbed with no problem.

Bread looks great.

Jennifer said...

Your additions sound very interesting! Your bread looks great!

Paula said...

Love the sugar on top! Have never tried buckwheat flour. Am I missing something?

Brenda said...

Fabulous job on the bread! It looks better than any bakery bought version!

natalia said...

I love your bread and even with buckwheat it looks wonderfully risen !

The Caked Crusader said...

I love this sort of cake/bread - immense. I'm on a sultana kick at the moment!

Mary said...

I didn't make this because of the raisins, but I wish I had. I have been using lots of buckwheat flour, and nice to know that it worked here--I'm making a note on the page. And what on earth is Nuttelex? Heading to Google now...
:)