Tuesday, June 22, 2010

TWD - Dressy Chocolate Loaf Cake


I am a self-confessed chocoholic, but when it comes to chocolate desserts, it can be a bit hit and miss for me. I don't like the chocolate flavour to be insipid, but if it is too full on and rich, I don't like it either. Case in point is chocolate icecream - the artificial chocolate flavour that you find in Neopolitan icecream and many supermarket icecreams does not appeal to me, but give me a "proper" chocolate icecream from a gelateria, I will lap it up.


This week's
Tuesday with Dorie challenge can thankfully never be called an insipid chocolate experience. Our host, Amy of Amy Ruth Bakes, chose Dorie's Dressy Chocolate Loaf Cake, and what a fabulous chocolate experience it has been. This cake is comprised of a devilishy dark sour cream chocolate cake, filled with two layers of jam and topped with a chocolate and sour cream frosting. Insipid? No. Decadent - yes.


My loaf pan was not big enough to contain all of the cake batter, so I ended up with three muffins (which spilled over the top of the muffin holes) as well. I ate one of those warm with a scoop of vanilla icecream - and OMG, that was my idea of heaven!!



Without further ado, here is my baked cake sans adornment (or, if it is "dressy" once completed, here it is completely nude):








Here's a shot inside the layers while being filled with jam:







Look how deeply, darkly decadent this cake is! Remember, it contains sour cream, so it has just the right amount of tang and moistness. I used papaya jam that I bought at a craft market on Saturday at Malvern Town Hall:







The cake frosting gave me a little grief, probably because I had neither enough chocolate or enough sour cream to make the quantity of frosting suggested by Dorie. I found the frosting to be something like mortar, and I felt like a brickie's labourer while I applied it to the cake. In the end, I used my hands to try and pat it on and smooth it out a little.



Thanks Amy for choosing this delicious cake for us this week. Check out Amy's site for the recipe, or the
TWD blogroll for other versions of this cake.

20 comments:

Flourchild said...

Papaya Jam sounds so good! Great looking loaf! Im going to try and make it tonight!

Kayte said...

I'm making it now, so nice to have your little pictures to see what I am doing! Thanks for the tips, yours looks great and if it tastes as good as you say, the guys are going to love it!

Susan @ My Wholefood Family Essentials said...

We loved this too! The papaya jam sounds really interesting. I would never have thought of pairing it with chocolate!

Cakelaw said...

@ Michelle & Kayte - I love how there is that time difference - it is surreal to think that it is already posting day here, but that it is still Monday there.

Jennifer said...

Your cake looks SO delicious! I am making mine in mere moments. I love the addition of papaya jam!!!!

Tammy said...

funnily enough, this loaf cake wasnt chocolatey enough for me!

Ivy said...

The cake is very decadent indeed and the papaya jam must be a wonderful pairing with chocolate.

sarah @ For the Love of Food said...

Jam and chocolate cake mmmmmmmm and sour cream mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Just made the wickedest chocolate dessert ever for a birthday dinner and now I can't keep away from them - chocolate really is the other food group :)

Von said...

I don't mind the fake chocolate flavour in supermarket ice creams =] This cake looks so good! I've never tried chocolate cake with sour cream, but it sounds like a really good idea- I'll have to try it out some time! I didn't know you could get papaya jam! haha......

Johanna GGG said...

looks excellent - I want to try this one and see how it compares to the one i recently made

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Yum that looks great! Papaya jam sounds really interesting! I'm going to look out for that-hubby would go gaga over it :D

Peggy said...

Ohhh papaya jam. Delicious. You are right about the icing. . mine was like that too! But so tasty.

Chats the Comfy Cook said...

Papaya is a wonderful choice. Originality can make all the difference.

Hindy said...

As a fellow chocoholic, I also enjoyed this recipe. It's a keeper. I wish I had some of the papaya jam!

Mary said...

I loved this cake plain too, and bet it would have been great with ice cream. Your jam sounds so interesting--I've only had fresh and dried papaya, never jam.

Anonymous said...

All that talk about chocolate leaves me wanting a piece of this cake!

Nutmeg Nanny said...

Mmmmmm chocolate and jam....delicious!

Unknown said...

My peeve is chocolate deserts that are just brown, but don't taste like chocolate at all.
I love your combination of chocolate with papaya jam, that sounds so exotic :)

Gloria Baker said...

This cake look delicious Cake and law! gloria

AmyRuth said...

Just a wee bit late getting to read about your "dressed up" chocolate cake. I am thrilled that you found it to your liking. I enjoyed it. I picked it without having made it first. I like surprises... I thought it was a nice easy chocolate pound cake that you could have fun with. Thank you for baking along. Stay warm.
Its hot here if you would like to journey to a warmer climate and write..... he he
AmyRuth
btw papaya sounds really really good