Friday, May 28, 2010

Sue B's Chocolate Cake



One of my hosts, Steve, has been feeling a little left out with all of this gluten free baking, so I decided to make a cake just for him, containing gluten.

A few days ago, I spied Sue B's Chocolate Cake on Anna's Cookie Madness - that cake looked too good to pass up, and look how happy Fuzz, Anna's daughter, looks with her creation! I was sold, and hence made Sue B's Chocolate Cake for Steve.

A technical difficulty I had is that the recipe requires 2 x 9" cake tins - I only had one 8" round tin, so I had to bake the cake for an hour and a half! When I first checked the cake after 50 minutes, it was still sloppy in the middle, and splashed as I slid it back into the oven, giving an unusual peak on my cake:



However, icing transforms most things into objects of beauty:



I didn't use the icing in the recipe, as I didn't have any butter or chocolate, but thick and rich water icing works just as well. The cake is also sparse on decoration (ie none) because in my temporary digs, I don't have any sprinkles or other frippery to pretty it up.

However, it's the taste that counts - and frankly, it's delicious! This cake has oodles of cocoa, so is very dark and chocolatey, and is very moist because it uses oil instead of butter (perfect in a dairy free house).

What can I say? Fuzz's smile says it all - this is a fab cake! Make it for the weekend - you won't be sorry.

13 comments:

Jennifer said...

In a word, YUM!

That cake looks DIVINE!!!!!!

Flourchild said...

How sweet of you to treat Steve to a wonderful cake! It look so moist and very tasty! I know my husband would love this one!

Brenda said...

My goodness this cake looks so moist and chocolatey! It doesn't need sprinkles or any decorations, it's perfect as it is!

Ivy said...

I'd love a piece of that chocolate heaven right now.

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Ooh this looks like pure, moist chocolate heaven! I think I let out a desirous moan when I saw the first pic! :P

Finla said...

Just looking to the slice you can see how moist it is. Wish i ahd that slice :-)

Anita said...

That looks so moist! I love that in a cake.

Johanna GGG said...

I love a rich chocolate cake full of cocoa-y darkness - good to see no one is left out of your treats - you really are a great guest

Anonymous said...

Looks delicious! I like the shape it got from baking it in one pan.

A_and_N said...

Okay how dense can a cake get?! that is a absolutely fantabulous looking cake.

I'd make it over and over.

veron said...

OMG! That is one lovely chocolate cake! I want a piece right now!

The Caked Crusader said...

Drooooool! NOw that's what I call a chocolate cake!

Anna said...

It looks incredible....even better than mine! I need to get my hands on one of those deep round baking tins. Most of the pans I find are 8 inches round and barely two inches high.

I'm glad you were patient and waited teh full hour and a half :).