Tuesday, March 30, 2010

TWD - Coconut Tea Cake


This week's Tuesday with Dorie takes us to the tea houses of Austria, but with the coconut flavour, it could just as well be from a tropical isle. Our host is Carmen of Carmen Cooks, and she chose Dorie's Coconut Tea Cake.


In the blurb accompanying this recipe, Dorie said that this recipe will produce a plain cake which can be eaten as is, toasted or spread with jam. I liked it as is - I cut a piece while the cake was still warm, and it was delightful:



The coconut leaves a nice smell in the kitchen while it is baking. I made the straight up recipe, including the rum, although I think any of the variations would have been just as nice. Instead of shredded coconut, I used toasted dessicated coconut as this is what I had around.


I would definitely make this again - it is a simple, easy cake, with a taste that is pleasant but not over the top.



For the recipe for the Coconut Tea Cake, visit
Carmen's site. To see what the other TWD bakers though of this recipe, visit the TWD blogroll.

17 comments:

Iron Chef Shellie said...

mmmm I do love the smell of coconut in the over. Coconut tea cake sounds and looks delicious!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Coconut is so lovely and tropical isn't it! And I bet it smells wonderful baking too! :)

The Blonde Duck said...

This is making me crave pound cake. I haven't had pound cake in years.

Jennifer said...

I didn't get around to this week's TWD-but your cake looks FABULOUS! I bet it tasted delicious!

I love the plate that your slice of cake is sitting on!!!!

TLC said...

not just delightful - d'lovely!

Conor @ HoldtheBeef said...

I'm only just getting over the coconut tart, and now you go and make this? And make me imagine it still warm from the oven?

Soy*Baby said...

Your cake is lovely. We enjoyed it too.

Pamela said...

I remember when I made this, I sliced into the still warm cake and loved it! I had a very hard time stopping. Looks good!

Mary said...

It looks good! I am definitely going to make this cake again too, and try all the variations.

Anonymous said...

Your cake looks wonderful! I enjoyed this one too.

Sihan said...

Simple is definitely the word! and I enjoyed it tremendously too!

Brenda said...

I can almost smell it!!!!

margot said...

The cake looks great. Your description is perfect, it was definitely an simple, enjoyable cake.

Julia @Mélanger said...

I remember coconut was the main ingredient of one of the first cakes I ever baked as a child. It brings back some great memories. I have this book so have to tag it! :)

Leslie said...

Mmm...yummy! I loved how this made the house smell while it was baking.

The Caked Crusader said...

I neeeeeed coconut cake...neeeeeed, you understand! I think it's time I baked a coconut cake - yours looks delish!

Kayte said...

Your cake looks beautiful inside and out! We enjoyed this as a strawberry shortcake...for some reason my guys are not that fond of cake ever, but pair it with berries and whipped cream and it's a hit! Yours looks wonderful.