Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Soft Chocolate and Raspberry Tart


Hi to all. Sorry I have been a slacker this last week - I have been distracted by all manner of things, including a weekend away in lovely Melbourne, which belied its reputation for bitter weather with summery blue skies and hot sunshine. I ate at some fabulous places while I was there, including Jimmy Watsons in Carlton (salmon pizza with marscapone and salmon roe), Cooper & Milla's in Armadale (banana and date porridge - very thick and substantial - and an enormous lamington), and a Chinese restaurant upstairs in Chinatown somewhere with a 5 course banquet for $32.50 a head that included Peking Duck - yum! (From the photos, I think it was Da Hu Peking Duck Restaurant.) I also had lunch at Cafe Eden in Canterbury - a rather large but lovely honey mustard chicken salad, together with a lime spider.


However, I am back and I have as of Monday night made this week's
Tuesday with Dorie recipe. Our host this week is Rachelle of Mommy? I'm Hungry, and she chose Dorie's Soft Chocolate and Raspberry Tart. A dessert with a name like that has me written all over it, so even though I struggled to fit this into my schedule and in fact made it in about 4 stages, it was worth it.


This tart is comprised of a pate sable tart shell, filled with raspberries (in my case, frozen ones) and a milk and dark chocolate ganache. You bake the filling, and it sets at room temperature to a smooth, silky delight studded with tart but complementary raspberries:





Now don't you just wanna sink your teeth into that chocolate filling? This tart is oh so good, and surprisingly not very sweet.


You can get the recipe from Rachelle, and to see what the other TWD bakers thought of the tart, visit the
TWD blogroll. As for me, I am having some more tart ...

36 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely chocolate tart. Raspberries and chocolate are the best combo!

Hindy said...

Of course, I had to google lamington. It's like petit fours only much larger and with coconut. Sounds delicious.
Glad you had a good weekend getaway.
Your pie looks great!

Gloria Baker said...

Cake law this tart look really neauty and delicious! gloria

Jennifer said...

Sounds like you had a lovely time in Melbourne!

Your tart looks divine!!!!!

Susan said...

I have eaten two slices of this already today! Yours looks as good as mine tastes! Fabulous!

Nutmeg Nanny said...

This looks great! I love raspberry and chocolate...yum!

Anonymous said...

i love how fruits and chocolate compliment each other so well.
especially in tarts, well done!

Brenda said...

OMG this looks heavenly!! I just know I would love this so much it would cause a toothache!

Rachelle S said...

Thanks for baking along with me this week! I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Tia said...

seriously yummy. nice job!

Ivy said...

This is a great combination and surely I would gladly eat one piece just now.

Anonymous said...

Oooh, yes please!

Trissa said...

Dorie and kitchenlaw have done it again! That cake looks so deliciously moist! Yes I definitely want to sink my teeth into this!

Lorraine @NotQuiteNigella said...

It does look so fork ready! Like I can just imagine sinking an eager fork into it and lifting it to my hungry mouth! :D

TLC said...

*drools* that looks divine

Anonymous said...

Oooh, I do believe raspberries and chocolate are a match made to tempt and tease! Looks just like it came out of Dorie's book!

natalia said...

Yes I want to sink !!! But I'm afraid it would be a long journey !!! Ciao !!

Leslie said...

Luscious! I bet it was nice to get back to baking after your holiday!

Mimi said...

I was wondering if frozen raspberries would work. Your tart looks delicious.
Mimi

Anonymous said...

Hi Gaye

Tammy here. I loved this tart too. and I also love the photo albumn you so kindly sent to Harry!! You are so sweet. can you please e-mail me with your address whcih had rubbed off the parcel. Just e-mail my work address which I am checking.

Tammy xx (wee treats)

Carol Peterman/TableFare said...

What a great weekend away, and you got to top it all off with this fabulous tart! It looks really good.

Anh said...

The tart looks wonderful. Like others have raved, chocolate and raspberries are meant for each other@

margot said...

Nice job on the tart! I was out of town over the weekend too and was relieved the tart wasn't too fussy.

Dharm said...

This looks really good!! Funnily enough I lived in Armadale while as a student in Melb but never heard of Cooper and Milla's. Never saw it either but then again, as a poor student, you never really looked out for these things!! I DID dine at Stephanies though - reputed to be the BEST restaurant in Melb at the time. Only reason I could afford to eat there coz me and my mates used to work there - and they gave us a special!! LOL!!

Conor @ HoldtheBeef said...

Oh yes my teeth are here! Ready and waiting! (Well, if I am to be perfectly honest, they are a little busy eating at the moment but they'll happily ignore my dinner if I were offered a piece of this deliciousness)

Pamela said...

Your time away sounds as wonderful as your tart looks. Very nice!

The Blonde Duck said...

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Amanda said...

Looks fabulous! Wish I would have made it now :-/

Johanna GGG said...

looks amazing - and impressive re-entry into the kitchen after your melbourne trip - now if they sold this sort of tart in melbourne I would be finding a baby sitter for sylvia (ha ha - just joking - she would probably have to tag along) but seriously it is just my sort of thing and I really want a slice!

Anonymous said...

I skipped this one, but it looks beautiful and delicious!

veron said...

Did I read Peking duck somewhere in your time away. sounds like you had a fantastic time. This tart looks amazing and I'm sure the taste did too!

Emily said...

There's nothing better than chocolate and raspberry. This looks amazing!

The Caked Crusader said...

That looks a gooey chocolate filling - the sort that satisfyingly sticks to your teeth while you're eating it! Yum, yum and triple yum!

aforkfulofspaghetti said...

Yes, yes, I DO want to sink my teeth into that! My word, it looks and sounds absolutely fab, and a must for all chocolate lovers!

The Blonde Duck said...

I hope you had a good weekend!

Teanna said...

I totally want to sink my teeth in that chocolate filling! Your tart looks gorgeous and I am glad you had a great trip to Melbourne!