Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Two Surprises - Blogging by Mail and Pay It Forward


Yesterday, all of my Christmases came at once when I received not one but two parcels from fellow bloggers in the mail. It was definitely a Christmas miracle that they arrived, because Australia Post staff have been striking on and off recently over a pay dispute.


The parcel at the top of this post is from Marci of
Pieces. Marci, from Austin, Texas, in the U.S., is my Blogging By Mail partner. Marci has been blogging since she was married in 2006, and has been blogging for longer than I have. Check out Marci's costume posts - they are a hoot!


Blogging By Mail is organised by the tireless Stephanie of
Dispensing Happiness, who puts a lot of work into BBM gathering details from participants, matching givers and receivers, and generally arranging for as many participants as possible to have a positive BBM experience (ie they send a parcel and in return, they receive a parcel).


The theme of BBM was 5 Favourite Indulgences, and Marci's package didn't fail to disappoint. First up, Marci sent me a light-globe shaped package of chocolate coated sunflower seeds. I have never tried these before, but I have to agree with Marci that they taste really good - kind of like rice krispie snacks.



Next is a large bag of Hatch Green Chile Tortilla Chips - yummo! (Marci, they arrived largely intact - thanks!) To accompany the chips, I received a tin of Herdez Salsa Casera, made in Mexico. A perfect snack to unwind with!



Marci also sent me a block of Popular chocolate beverage mix. Marci says she makes hers with water, and loves the hint of cinnamon. I am looking forward to trying this, as we don't have anything like it here.



Finally, Marci sent me a bottle of Metromint chocolatemint water, which Marci describes as guilt free chocolate - I agree - what could be better?



Thanks to both Marci and Stephanie - I had a lot of fun opening this package, and I am sure that I will have just as much fun enjoying its contents.





My second parcel came from my great blogging friend, Tammy, of Wee Treats by Tammy, who sent me a parcel as part of a Pay It Forward game. Tammy comes from one of my favourite spots in the universe, New Zealand, and is a fellow lawyer. Tammy makes the cutest decorated biscuits and sugar flowers that you have ever seen - I highly recommend checking out Tammy's blog to see how beautiful they are.


Tammy asked me what I would like to receive, and I said basically anything related to New Zealand. I have been to New Zealand twice in the last couple of years, and just loved it, including their unique food treats.



The first item in Tammy's package is the latest edition of New Zealand
Taste magazine. It has some fabulous recipes that I have bookmarked, including a gluten-free apricot and cranberry cake and a hazelnut and raspberry icecream cake.


Next, I received two sets of cupcake papers - one beautiful, ethereal blue and silver set and a cute chocolate brown set with silver striped rims and silver cupcakes on the bottom.



New Zealand has some great chocolate treats, and Tammy must have known that I am a chocoholic, as I received a twin pack of pineapple lumps (with a pineapple foam sweet centre and coated in chocolate) and a three-pack of Whittakers Peanut Slab. Yum!!



Tammy also threw in a packet of Eskimos, which are pastel-coloured foam sweets in the shape of eskimos, and which are often used to make the famous New Zealand Lolly Cake. Fabulous! (If my friend Ruth is reading this, I know she'll be homesick - she is a Kiwi and loves Eskimos.)



Finally, Tammy sent me two beautiful cards. The first is one of Tammy's
home-made retro pattern cards, which is absolutely gorgeous. The second is a Christmas card featuring a lovely red native New Zealand bush - the last one is for the Tuesdays with Dorie Christmas card exchange, as Tammy drew me!


Thanks so much Tammy - I am going to have a lot of fun with these gifts.



(As I have already "paid it forward" in another round, this round stops with me!)

5 comments:

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

What great packages you got! And just in time for Christmas too which is great! :D

Deeba PAB said...

Oh fun fun fun. I love foodie blogger gifts. Enjoy your early Christmas. I have been very lucky this year too...
Happy Holidays my friend!

Jennifer said...

What wonderful packages! That's such an awesome thing to be a part of!

Anita said...

Love the gifts, it's a great idea and perfect for the holidays too.

Morven said...

What great packages. Isn't stuff like this a wonderful spin off of blogging. I suspect my package is coming by surface but I'm treating it a bit like an IOU which is a good thing. My mum always reckoned that IOUs are good for your soul because they give you hope!