Tuesday, December 8, 2009

TWD - Sables


This week's Tuesday with Dorie challenge was Sables, chosen by our host, Bungalow Barbara. For the uninitiated, sables are an ultra-buttery shortbread biscuit, formed by rolling logs of chilled dough in sugar then slicing them into biscuits.


This recipe came together relatively quickly and easily. My cookies do not look as perfect as Dorie's, but then again, I'm a lawyer, not a pastry chef. I rolled the cookies in some clear Wilton decorating sugar that I received from Nikki in Blogging by Mail last year.



The resulting cookies were very buttery and melt in the mouth - not surprising given the amount of butter in them!



I gave this batch of cookies to my friend Ruth, who has managed to break her ankle, and has just had an operation to have her leg joined back together. She gets married in less than a month, and it is very, very hot here right now, so I do feel for her and hope really hard that the same won't happen to me - ever.



These appeared to be a favourite among the TWD group - to see how they went, go to the
TWD blogroll. Barbara will post the recipe sometime on Tuesday, her time.

24 comments:

Nutmeg Nanny said...

Even if you are a lawyer you still make some pretty delicious cookies:)

Tammy said...

I really loved these. they were quite buttery, but deliciously so!

Leslie said...

My sables could almost be twins with yours. I thought they were tasty but mine were much homelier. Poor Ruth! I had a friend who broke her knee a couple of months before her wedding, but the deadline looming made her a perfect patient.

Flourchild said...

Mine don't look a thing like Dories either..and Im not a lawyer:)

Amanda said...

They look great! I made mine today, half of them came out too dark, but the other half were salvagable LOL

Cakelaw said...

LOL, thanks Brandy :)

Hi Tammy, agreed!!

Hi Leslie, oh no, your poor friend! A knee would be even trickier to mend - glad she healed in time for her wedding.

LOL Michelle ;)

Hi Amanda, I have some darker ones too - I decided they were too unphotogenic for this shoot, LOL.

Jules Someone said...

These were pretty tasty. Mine weren't so sandy. But good!

Cakelaw said...

Hi Jules, agreed - they were tasty.

Gloria Baker said...

Caklaw they look sooooo delicious!! gloria

Engineer Baker said...

I'm going to bet on these cookies making her feel a LOT better - they look fantastic!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

I adore sable biscuits! I love how buttery they are-mmm butter! :)

Ivy said...

Wow I can imagine how buttery and delicious these cookies are!

Bungalow Barbara said...

Thanks for baking along with me this week! Glad you liked these and I sure hope they help your friend feel better!

Paula said...

Your friend is lucky to have you around to give her such good cookies.

Hindy said...

Your cookies are every bit as good, better because they were given as a gift.
Cakelaw, I've enjoyed reading your blog all year long and look forward to more. Seasons greetings!

chocolatechic said...

What a luv to give them away.

Where are you that it is so hot? asks CC who is suffereing with 36ยบ weather

Susan said...

Your cookies look great on the festive plate!! I really liked how easy these were to make. I will make them again and again.

Tia said...

mmmm butter :)

Palidor said...

Rich, buttery sables are awesome. These look fantastic!

Unknown said...

Your cookies look wonderful! Your friend is so lucky..how thoughtful of you to gift these. I thought they were amazingly delicious!

Anonymous said...

Ultra-buttery says it all! I hope some homemade cookies help Ruth heal quickly!

The Caked Crusader said...

I have sables on my "to bake" list - yours look lovely. The butteriness shines through - they have a golden glow!

Jennifer said...

I'm so sorry in my late posting of a comment on these sables! They were delicious and yours look amazing!!!!

margot said...

The cookies look yummy! I'm sure they made your friend feel better, a leg operation sounds terrible.