Saturday, December 19, 2009

Rocky Road


Are you still with me on the Christmas treats? I've got another easy one for you which is no bake - just chop, melt, spread and set. It's Rocky Road!!!


For the uninitiated, Rocky Road is chocolate mixed with nuts, jelly and marshmallows, and tastes as good as it sounds.



I used a non-traditional Rocky Road recipe from
Loreto Cooks, a wonderful cookbook given to me by my dear friends Steve and Craig, who contributed their roast lamb recipe to the book. (I am yet to try it, but I will soon.) Steve works at Loreto Mandeville Hall, a private girls school in Toorak, so this book has special associations. It's not your average school cookbook - this is a properly bound, full colour, professionally compiled cookbook.


The Rocky Road recipe was contributed by Jacqueline Prestedge. I halved the recipe, and adapted it slightly as follows:



500g good quality dark chocolate

1 cup chopped marshmallows
2 chopped Turkish Delight bars
2 chopped Cherry Ripe bars
1 cup chopped almonds



Line a 18cm x 28cm slice tin with baking paper. Leave overhang on all sides so that you can use the paper to lift the Rocky Road out later.



Put all of the ingredients except the chocolate together into a bowl and mix together.



Melt the chocolate over a bain marie (or put it in a metal bowl over a saucepan of simmering water), then pour it over the other ingredients. Stir thoroughly to coat the other ingredients in the chocolate.



Pour the mixture into the prepared slice tin, press down evenly, and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or until set. Chop into squares of the desired size using a warm knife.



Dig in - it' s delicious!



On a different note, I cross-stitched this cute coaster for my friend Ruth:





I was going to make more, but ran out of time.


Have a great weekend everyone!

4 comments:

A_and_N said...

I love Rocky Road :)

Happy Holidays!

Anonymous said...

I'm still with you on the Christmas treats! This looks yummy!

Your cross stitch is cute! I always think about doing some holiday crafts in the summer so that I get them done, but then I don't do it!

Emily said...

My goodness. This sounds so festive and delicious!

Jennifer said...

I LOVE the coaster! That is precious and such a festive idea for the Christmas holiday!

I love all of your Christmas posts...it's impossible not to get into the Christmas spirit while reading them!