Sunday, December 20, 2009

Christmas Cake - Nigella Lawson's recipe



I have just spent a marvellous long weekend in Melbourne catching up with some of my wonderful friends. Thanks to Veronica, Margot, Steve, Craig, Tim and Christian - it was fabulous seeing you.

The next Christmas recipe I am going to share with you is for a Christmas cake that has to be made at least a month in advance - I in fact made mine in June this year. It is Nigella Lawson's standard Christmas cake recipe from How to Be a Domestic Goddess and Feast, and which you can also find online here. It is a handy recipe because the ingredients are given in different quantities for different sized cakes. By Christmas, my cake was wonderfully boozy and scented - and I didn't "feed" it at all between making it and cutting it recently for gifts.


Here is a slice of the cut cake, so that you can easily see all of the wonderful fruit:


The cake stayed nice and moist, which is a relief, because I have quite a lot of cake left over after slicing it up for friends gift boxes!

There are a myriad of fruit cake recipes out there, so I am never sure which ones are the best. Do you have a favourite fruit cake recipe?

7 comments:

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Funnily enough, my favourite fruit cake is a fruit cake with mango that I made last year. It was really gorgeously soft. Yours look fantastic! :D

Ivy said...

Your cake sounds delicious. I love fruit cakes and made mine a few weeks ago. I am anxious to taste the fruit cake I made this year because I practically changed a recipe I have been using for over thirty years. Wish you a Merry Christmas.

Jennifer said...

I've never made a fruit cake. The all in one bundt we all made for TWD a few weeks ago is about the closest I've come to a fruitcake. I should try making one!

I just love Nigella Lawson! And I imagine that this is a fabulous cake!

Anonymous said...

It sounds wonderful. Maybe next year I will try making a fruitcake. It's so convenient that it needs to be made in advance!

Johanna GGG said...

I tried a fruitcake with chocolate last year - you couldn't taste the chocolate but the cake was dark and rich and moist - but this one sounds excellent

Anonymous said...

Looks great - and good to hear it was still nice and moist even though you didn't have to feed it after you made it. Good job! Loving all the christmas posts, giving me heaps of ideas!

Anonymous said...

Great christmas cake recipe. I have baked it last year. You have indeed done a lot of christmas baking. lol!