Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Applesauce spice bars


I have been sadly neglecting this blog over the last week or so, because life has run away without me. My boss was on holidays last week, and I found myself engulfed by work duties to the extent that when I wasn't working, I needed to be miles from a computer.

Accordingly, here I am, at another Tuesday with Dorie, and I haven't done any more blogging since last week, and I apologise sincerely for not having done much visiting either. Hopefully, now my boss is back, life will go back on track and settle down into its usual rhythm, which includes plenty of baking and blogging. (Ha, yes, I missed him at work - but don't tell him that!)

Our host this week is Karen from Something Sweet, and she has selected Applesauce Spice Bars. These were up my alley - fruity and spicey and ever so nice. The only part that I didn't care for was the glaze, maybe because I overdid it a little and it set hard, like toffee, making it difficult to cut. However, the next time I make these (and I really did like them, so would be happy to make them again), I will leave off the glaze.

Having fought bitterly with my computer to launch a browser, any browser, this evening, it is now way past my bedtime and I have nothing else to add. However, do go check out all the lovely spicy, saucy applesauce spice bars made by other TWD bloggers, and smell the cinnamon coming off the page. If you are tempted to make them, Karen will have the recipe on her site.

19 comments:

Tammy said...

try the glaze again - it was my favourite part!

Pamela said...

I didn't get to make the glaze, but I wasn't expecting it to get so firm. Interesting to know! Hope things stay calm at work, it's nice to have you back.

Emily said...

Oh yes. These sound perfect for me! I've been craving apple stuff lately.

Kayte said...

I don't know, I am thinking I would really really like glaze that set up hard like toffee...maybe I would not change a thing with these as they look excellent to me!

Flourchild said...

Bummer that the glaze didn't turn out. I liked the bars and thought they turned out good. Yours look just like mine!

Unknown said...

I am so glad I decided not to make the glaze. The bars tasted great anyway. I hope everything lets up for you. I think it was super of you to make these with such a tough schedule!

adele said...

Ooh. These do sound good. I'm in an apple-and-cinnamon sort of mood. I might pick up an apple muffin for morning tea tomorrow - just to tide me over until I'm back in my own kitchen. :)

Soy*Baby said...

The glaze was good. Mine was actually pretty runny. Glad you enjoyed these.

natalia said...

Ciao ! I think that they would be delicious even without glaze !

Maria said...

These bars are so good!

Anonymous said...

I didn't make these, but they sound great!

Cakelaw said...

Hi Tammy, your glaze looks so lovely that maybe I can be persuaded.

Thanks Pamela. I don't think the glaze was supposed to harden (blushes).

Hi Em, I love apple anything, so I adored these.

LOL Kayte - it could be regarded as a happy accident :)

Hi Michelle, yes, these were good!

Thanks Gabe's Girl - I think they would be just fine without the glaze, although I am looking longingly at all the soft chewy glazes that other people made.

Hi Adele, an apple and cinnamon muffin - now that would hit the spot.

Hi Kim, yours was right (mine was called a mistake!).

Hi Natalia, agreed!

Maria, they were good - and with all that fruit and nuts, I could trick myself into believing they were healthy ;)

Hi Jill, they were good, but your diet break is a fab idea. I have gained weight since joining TWD!

Leslie said...

These look great! I liked them without the glaze, but with the glaze they were AMAZING! I let my bars cool completely, then let the glaze cool considerably before putting it on the bars.

TeaLady said...

Yes, they are good without the glaze, but equally or maybe better with. Make them moist.

Yours look good.

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

As a fan of apple desserts, these bars are destined to fill my tummy at some stage. Thankyou! :)

Hope everything settles back down for you soon :)

margot said...

Glad you enjoyed these, they look great! I see you have another yummy-looking treat up, so it looks like things are back to normal at work and in the kitchen.

♥Rosie♥ said...

Those bars look delish Cakelaw!

Anonymous said...

Ooh...i hate it when work gets in the way of blogging. :P

Your bars look great!

Cakelaw said...

Hi Leslie, I need to redo the glaze another time and be a bit more gentle on the heat.

Hi Margie, yes - must redo the glaze because everyone else's looks devine.

Thanks Rosie :)

LOL Wendy - so do I!